Author Topic: Altrincham in 1841  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
Altrincham in 1841
« on: Thursday 07 February 08 23:03 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 Census my ancestor  Joseph Street was living next to the lock ups and police station in Altrincham - does anyone know what street this might have been?

why am I asking???
On Cheshire Records office web page they have on-line access to tithe maps. If you have cheshire ancstors it is well worth a look

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps

In the tithe map of 1838 a Joseph Street is renting 9 cottages (30 perches no less) in Altrincham.  When I check the map this building (it seems to be one building in spite of being described as 9 cottages) appears to be on George Street.

I am wondering if this Joseph Street is my ancestor and wondering if these were premises he lived at or perhaps rented for work purposes.  He was a tailor.  If the police station turned out to be in George Street I'd be  ;D

Anyone out there help?
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham in 1841
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 08 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The current police station is on Barrington Road; the previous one was on the corner of Dunham Road & High Street, but I don't know when that was first in use. I find on the Trafford Lifetimes website some pictures of the Police Lockups on George Street - so these would tie in nicely for you.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/02ot/
There's lots about Altrincham's local history on this website if you want to explore further
http://althistsoc.users.btopenworld.com/index.html

PS George Street is today one of the main shopping streets in Altrincham - currently the 1970s shops are being demolished & new ones constructed at one end - still all the usual chains, though.

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 08 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant - thanks for that - the pictures are great
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 08 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Just a little bit more detail.

You have found where Joseph Street was the occupier at the time of the Altrincham Tithe Map.  It seems to be roughly where no 95 George Street is now (Bodycare?) and Millets.

30 perches is about 900 square yards. 

A book was published some time ago called Bygone Altrincham- Traditions and History.  The author was Chas. Nickson.  Chapter 9 is headed George Street and Kingsway.  This  could prove useful reading id you could get hold of or borrow a copy.

Reiver

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 08 18:49 GMT (UK) »
thanks - wish I lived nearer to pay a visit to Bodycare? or Millets.

sounds as though he had quite big premises yet I cannot find any sign of a will when he died in 1857 but maybe I am looking in the wrong place - I tried in the list of wills Cheshire records office have on line - nothing - and looked in A2A - nothing

any idea who published that book?

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 08 18:51 GMT (UK) »
delete that last question about publisher - I have found several references on line
thanks

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 February 08 19:11 GMT (UK) »
In the Tithe Apportionments he was the occupier of Plot 53.  The owner was a William Cluley. But Plot 53 was 9 cottages - apparently on an area of about 300 sq-yds.  Normally I would have expected an occupier of each of the 9 cottages - or many of them - to be listed or maybe 'Joseph Street and others'  But that is not the case here apparently - unless it has been incorrectly transcribed.

It maybe worth following him into 1851 or back into 1841 or Rostherne where he was born.

Regards
Reiver

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 February 08 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cedas  ;)

There are some old photos oF George Street on the Trafford Library site -

https://www.trafford.gov.uk/content/tca/search_results.asp?NAV=2&fTown=1&fDecade=*&fKeyword=george+street

Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 February 08 00:20 GMT (UK) »

Hi Reiver

i have emailed Cheshire records office to see if I can get more inforamtion. i don't know how long he was in George Street but by 1851 he had moved to Well street and he died in 1857.  I cannot tell how long he was in George Street as the baptism records I have for the children simply state "altrincham" as the address.  For some reason several of the children were baptised in Manchester cathedral - (his wife was from Manchester)