Author Topic: Bateman - Cork, Ireland  (Read 23931 times)

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bateman - Cork, Ireland
« on: Saturday 09 February 08 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor called Ann Bateman who was born about 1810 in COrk, Ireland.
In 1841 she was living in London. When she married she gave her father as Michael Bateman, shoemaker.

Does anyone have any inforamtion or suggestions that might hlep me to trace her family?
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Bateman - Cork, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 08 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello lizb,

I've a Bateman friend who told me his ancestors came from Clonakilty, Co. Cork. There are some posts on Rootsweb about William Bateman of Clonakilty who emigrated to America in 1883.

Slater's Royal National Directory of Ireland 1881 - Clonakilty

Agents
William Bateman (emigration), Mill Street

Boot and Shoe Makers
John Bateman, Main Street
Thomas Bateman, Boyle Street
William G. Bateman, Mill Street

Cattle Dealers
Charles Bateman, Sovereign Street

Grocers and Dealers in sundries
Henry Bateman, Sovereign Street
William Bateman, Mill Street

Leather Sellers
Bateman, Main Street & Barrack Street

Milliners and Dressmakers
Jane Bateman, Barrack Street

Miscellaneous
William S. Bateman, loan office, Mill Street

Christopher

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 08 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - all potential clues are worth following up and this information is worth following up - especially as includes shoemakers, my ancestors occupation.

Yours in the second response to my post - the first was my 'fourth cousin' also looking for the same family. So there are two of us on the case now - thanks to rootschat.

I have been reading about the difficulties of tracing families back in Ireland and would be grateful on any advice on the best reference sources either on the internet or books. (I recently made a very fruitful visist to the British Library in London whose catolgue includes a vast amount of useful material - and am planning to go again soon)
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 08 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello lizb,

I've created the following links

Genforum - Posts re Bateman in Cork http://tiny.cc/5p5Jg

RootsChat -  Ann Bateman - born Cork 1810 - father Michael http://tiny.cc/UyB4h

So far it's been established there were Bateman families in Bandon, Bantry and Clonakilty.

W Bro Bateman, W Master of Lodge 67 Cork is mentioned in the minutes of the Freemasons Harmony Lodge 67 - Cork http://tiny.cc/i3vBz

I get the impression that some of the Bateman guys were rogues with twinkles in their eyes. There's a reference to them on kingston-purves.wikispaces.com which says ....  "Bateman is an old Munster name that traces back to the 1640s ... King George I made a Bateman a Peer as “Viscount Bateman.” The King is quoted as saying he could “make him a Lord, but not a gentleman!""

Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry by Bernard Burke lists ... http://tiny.cc/j6rah
John Bateman (Born 1792. Married 1824) of Oak Park, Tralee and Dirreen Lodge, Castleisland ... Co. Kerry.

Christopher

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 08 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Christopher

I like your description 'rogues with twinkles in their eyes'
That makes sense in that my Anne Bateman married a bit of a rogue too!

I have visited Cork once - 30 years ago as a child - now I am looking forward to visiting again to see where this family came from

Elizabeth

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 08 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Christopher
Clonakilty link continues to look hopeful. I have been looking at Griffiths Valuation of Ireland (searching on Cork and Bateman) . This shows nine Bateman's in Clonakilty - including one Michael. Other locations with reasonable number -  other places  in parish of Kilgarriff, St Nicholas, Monanimy and Kilmeen. There are 4 Michael Batemans in Ballymacmoy, Monanimy. (This is all proving very useful for my geography!). I will be very interested in any comments your friend has.

Tony
You asked about routes from Cork to London. I think a lot of emigrants from Cork went to Bristol. I have another Cork ancestor there, and there was a big Irish population there in the 1840s. They may have travelled onto London from there, or of course gone to London direct. Moving from one Irish community to another was not uncommon - I have another Irish family connection who moved from Liverpool to Bristol.  But, I think it will be very difficult to trace any travel records.

Elizabeth

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 February 08 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth,

I've received a reply to my message to my friend in Clonakilty. He confirms what he told me that there is a chain of three shoe shops today called Batemans based in Clonakilty. He thinks the proprietor has Bateman antecedents. There could have been more than one Bateman family in Clonakilty who was involved in the leather business. The problem with tracing Batemans in Clonakilty is that so many emigrated back to England or to the Commonwealth in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries that there are great gaps between the Bateman families that remain - almost all are farmers and seemingly unconnected.

He also said that he was reading how tanning was a big business in the area in the sixteenth century when English settlers came to exploit the availability of trees (for bark). Cattle were also plentiful when the English forbade the export of cattle in the 1660s. He has also seen several records of nineteenth century births, marriages and deaths where the occupation was given as shoemaker of cordwainer (same thing). He guesses that some of the Bateman families branched out into farming or other commercial activities (there was a Bateman grocery business until five or ten years ago and also a large local bakery until the 1960s).

Christopher

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 08 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for passing on this inforamtion Christopher.

I will continue to hunt for clues.

I have found quite a lot of Bateman family history research on internet - particularly roots web - but it is quite disparate and goes back for years.

LIke your friend said - a lot of Batemans emigrated to America or Australia. I have found a few more 'cordwainers' and an odd transported convict.

It was interesting what he said about it being a 'local' occupation and this might give another line to follow up

Thanks again
Elizabeth

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 February 08 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth,

I've just received more information from Clonakilty.

The following are taken from two gravestones in Kilgarriff churchyard in Clonakilty (there are at least 13 Bateman gravestones) - the only Michael and too young to be Ann's father but perhaps a brother. My friend happens to know the family represented by the second gravestone.

More generally, there were 57 Bateman households in County Cork in the 1871 census. Clonakilty is the main focus as Batemans were among the first New English settlers when the town was founded by Richard Boyle,  later Earl of Cork, between 1598 and 1613. These Batemans never seemed to rise to the ranks of the landlord class, unlike the Batemans at Oakpark, Tralee, Co. Kerry, and the Batemans at Cannock Chase, Askeaton, Co. Limerick. Several other Bateman families lived and some still live in East Cork, Cork City and elsewhere in West Cork.

1. Erected by William D(eane?) Bateman in memory of:
Michael Bateman died 20th February 1869 aged 54 (father born 1815)

Hester Bateman died 20th July 1893 aged 76 (mother born 1817 – nee Deane? Silversmith?)

(see 9 for a William Deane Bateman 1857-1921)

2. Thomas Bateman of Madame died 12th August 1919 aged 68 (born 1851)

Samuel Bateman died 14th March 1908 aged 23 – his son (born 1885)

William Deane Bateman died 23rd February 1921 aged 64 (born 1857 – brother? –see 3)

Mary Jane Bateman died 20th September 1929 aged 70 (his wife – whose?)

Paul Bateman died 23rd February 1969 (father of Sam of Madame and John)

Annie Bateman died 2nd December 1989 (wife nee Swanton)

Christopher