Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67869 times)

Offline Kerr Aust

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #162 on: Sunday 03 January 10 09:26 GMT (UK) »
How lovely to get such a quick reply.  If you need any Australian info I can probably help.  Although I don't have a George in a direct line I'm sure I can find info if you need it!  Joseph (Thomas's son) seems to have been the only one of that family that came out as his elder brother inherited and I'm pretty sure I just found a monumental inscription showing that his younger brother Robert died at 10 yrs old. I think only two of the girls survived and they stayed in Scotland.  Isn't the internet wonderful!

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Sunday 03 January 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
i have a marriage 1824 torthorwald james kerr joiner and mary hutchison  mary is a relative of the hutchisons on another thread last month if you look at the henderson/vivers/hutchison items  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Sunday 03 January 10 12:54 GMT (UK) »
if james kerrs grave inscription is correct  death 1850 age  86 years hid dob is 1764/65 i wonder if he is the son of john ker dalton there are james born torthorwald but they are too young  janet tweedies dob should be 1771/72 death 1843 age 72 her name could also be jean/jane  csc

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:15 GMT (UK) »
i have just had another look at marriage cert it definatly says james 24/3 1824  on his second 15/01/54 it says thomas/agnes forsyth    mary hutchison was the daughter of robert h /margaret  swan born 17/03 1807  margaret swan died 1851  csc

Offline Kerr Aust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:17 GMT (UK) »
That's confusing.  I have Mary Hutchison married to Thomas Kerr not James.  That same headstone that gives James Kerr (Thomas's father) on it dying age 86 also has Mary Hutchison wife of Thomas Kerr.  She is also in the 1841 census with him (well at least a wife named Mary).  I looked up the marriage you mentioned thinking it may have been bad handwriting but no - 2 x Mary Hutchison's in Torthorwald?  Just saw your recent message, yes Agnes Forsyth is listed as Thomas's second wife and after his death in the 1861 census it has her living at Elizafield with two step children who are the youngest of Thomas and Mary's.   

I have got information that James is possibly the son of James and Martha Moffat but can't find evidence.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:27 GMT (UK) »
yes i had to look twice thought i had it wrong i wonder if it was just a mistake on the registrars part  i also looked to see if thomas/agnes had any children not found any i am very interested in this family  as  my gran agnes kerr her sisters mary and jeannie hutchison kerr are all born elizafield their brother archibald was born mouswald banks cott  we have no grandfather listed our great gran mary agnes kerr was single as was her mother mary dickson kerr my lot were not born till 1890s  i wonder about these tweedie ladies married to kerrs are related csc

Offline Kerr Aust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Just attempting to attach the census with Agnes Kerr and her marriage to Thomas

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:54 GMT (UK) »
yes the other one is oprs  very confusing  ages might be about correct on grave  if   you look back at kerr usa you will see 3 kerr brothers married to 3 johnsone sisters no wonder we are confused csc

Offline Kerr Aust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 03:16 GMT (UK) »
While trying to tidy my study I found an old letter on Kerr research my aunt did which might help you.
I don't know where all her info came from but I know she was writing to cousins in the UK.
James Ker b. c1718 at Cleughbrae, d. 3 Dec 1789 age 71 buried  Cleughbrae. 
He married
Martha Moffat b. c1727 died 4 April 1802 buried Cleughbrae
they had 7 children and three of their sons James George and John married three Tweedie girls.
John Ker M. Jean Tweedie b. c1757
George Ker m. Mary Tweedie b. c1755
James Ker m Janet Tweedie b c1771
she thought that Mary and Jean were sisters and that Janet may have been a sister or niece.
James Ker and Janet Tweedie appear to only have had the one child who is my ggg grandfather
Thomas Kerr.  His first wife was Mary Hutchison who died before him and was the mother of his 8 children and Agnes Forsyth who survived him and died in 1895.
I thought I might get an extremely large piece of paper, print out all the pages of this post and see if I can map the Kerrs from the information.  Should keep me amused for a week or two :)