Author Topic: Royal Hospital Chelsea - records?  (Read 988 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Royal Hospital Chelsea - records?
« on: Tuesday 12 February 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have my grandfather's service records, one of the pages gives details of correspondence with the RHC.  I have managed to find out what all the forms are that are mentioned.  I am wondering if there are any records still kept at RHC or if they have all been transferred to Kew.

The date given on the form, which is when the information was given to RHC was 15-5-20, well after WW1.  We don't know for definite if he served in WW1, but he definitely served in the Boer war.

He received a pension until he died for neurasthenia, which is why I am thinking he probably re-enlisted into another regiment.  This is what I am hoping will turn up if I manage to find his pension record.  He isn't on the records on Ancestry, I know they aren't all on yet, and it may not even have survived.

But there is a reference number given and the words (P14 & RHC)  beside the date.

Anybody have any ideas?

Rosemary :)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Hospital Chelsea - records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I think Kew's your best bet.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk