Author Topic: "Barbers Store" in North End Road, Fulham 1929  (Read 27009 times)

Offline Beans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alfred Boot - Printer Master
    • View Profile
"Barbers Store" in North End Road, Fulham 1929
« on: Sunday 17 February 08 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have a great Aunt who was killed by a lorry mounting the pavement and pushed her through the plate glass window of the store "Barbers" in North End Road, Fulham. Her name was Ellen Emms (Nee Dickens) and it happened in 1929. My question is: does anybody have any idea how I can find more information on the incident? Does the store "Barbers" still exist??? Any information appreciated. Cheers -  Beans ??? ??? ???
Boot - London/Middlesex pre 1780
Dickens/Dickins - Stewkley
Fox - Souldern
Butler - Pembroke Dock

Offline ridban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: "Barbers Store" in North End Road, Fulham 1929
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I think Barber's no longer exists. I remember it still being there in 1968 when I worked in a television rental shop a few doors away.

Try Hammersmith & Fulham archives at
http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/Directory/Leisure_and_Culture/Libraries/Archives/17430_Archives_and_Local_History.asp
for newspaper reports of the accident.

Hope that is helpful.

Linda

Offline Beans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for information Linda  ;D
It'severso difficult trying to do things from abroard  :( but I will get onto the archives as you suggest. ;)

Can you rememer what type of store Barbers was???? ???
Fox - Souldern
Butler - Pembroke Dock

Offline sharonw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
The 1915 Post Office London directory (part 2) lists a likely Barbers at North End Road: "417, 419, 421, 423 and 426  Barber Fred Holgate & Co.  Linen drapers". 

North End Road is quite long and a major commercial street in Fulham and the shop was on the east side, near its southern end, between Armadale Road and Eustace Road, (I guess you could find this on Multimap or similar?).  Even today it's quite dangerous as heavy traffic has to squeeze down a road too narrow to cope.  There's a street market squashed in down the east side too, it's been there since the 1880s - so unless it happened outside market hours (I think it has one day a week off), or its layout has changed, any lorry mounting the pavement on that side may well have smashed through stalls too.

I found it on Leicester University's site for historical directories: http://www.historicaldirectories.org
Search by London, cycle through till you find "Part 2 Street Directory" of the 1915 one, then go to "streets L-Z" and image (not page number) 371.  Squint at the tiny print and it's near the top of the middle column.  I couldn't see any other Barber reference in the street, (unless another one opened up later).

WHITTINGTON Bethnal Green & Shoreditch, HEATHER Marylebone & Islington, HUTSON Islington, MANLEY Bethnal Green, STRONG Islington, PEARSON Edmonton Mdsx & Canada, PARSONS Lambeth & St George E, ARNOLD Palmers Green, DUNN Clerkenwell & Edmonton, PRUDENCE Palmers Green, GIRLING St Lukes, (O')SULLIVAN Islington, CUTHBERTSON Holborn, Clerkenwell & Victoria

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 17:06 GMT (UK) »
A member of my family had a fatal accident in 1896 in Fulham. I knew the date he died and e-mailed the Fulham archives and they sent by return of post the Coroners report. They are always very helpful and usually reply quickly.

Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Beans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 February 08 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a million to Ringrose and Sharon. The directories were very interesting - they will also help me with further research for other family members.

I will definitely also contact the Archives for a coroners report - I never thought of that one.

It was very interesting to read  about North End Road conditions at the time and that they seem to have changed little over the years regarding the market and overcrowding.

Cheers both of you! ;D ;)
Fox - Souldern
Butler - Pembroke Dock

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 February 08 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beans,

Sorry I can't say if Barbers is still there now, but back in 1971 I bought my wedding veil and head-dress from there which I still have! Still have the same man too!

I think good old 'Woolies' was on the opposite side of the street.

Good Luck with your searching.
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline Beans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 February 08 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patsy,

Nice to have another confirmation of what Barbers was - and that it was still their in the early 70's - Thanks.
My missus and I (1977) still have our wedding gear as well - problem is neither of us fit into it anymore ;D
Cheers
Beans
Fox - Souldern
Butler - Pembroke Dock

Offline destin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 January 10 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This could be old news, sorry about that but I've only just joined this site.
Barbers has long gone. I was there a few years ago in about 06. In it's place is more tacky shops which seems to be the way North End Rd has gone. Nothing like the old days when British Home stores, Marks & Spencer's and Woolworth's along with Barbers were nice looking stores (on the inside as well as the outside). I was born, and married from my parents house (in 1963) in Fulham.  Those days all the store fronts were well kept. The owners took pride in how they looked, even the stalls were tidy. I was quite shocked to see how it had changed, Lot's of little poky shops very run down on the outside, I didn't want to go in. The photo showing the stall's is older than the one of Barbers it was taken in 1964.
Thursday afternoon used to be there half day, all the shops closed and the street was clear by 1pm.
Good luck in your searches.
T.T.F.N. 
Linda