Author Topic: Svombos from Greece ~ and elsewhere???  (Read 868 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Svombos from Greece ~ and elsewhere???
« on: Tuesday 19 February 08 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I have always known that my gt gt grandfather came from Greece and that he married an Irish woman, before settling in Cardiff.

Digging a little, gave me the information that 'Svombo' is very rare and people of that name originate from only one place ~ the Greek island of Hydra / Idhra.

A bit more digging confirmed that Lazaros, the first child of of Nicholas Svombo & Ellen Barry, was baptised in 1855, in Queenstown / Cobh ~ Cork, Ireland.

A newly-discovered cousin ~ another rootschat member ~ provided the marriage details ~ also in Queenstown

From the baptismal certificate I gathered that Nicholas's father must also have been a Lazaros ~ and correspondence with a Svombo on Hydra comfirmed that a Lazaros Svombo did live there at the right time.

A couple of other things ~
Greek friends say that 'Svombo' is not really a Greek name.
My Greek 'Svombo' contact told me that there are a number of variations of this name in Greece ~ including 'Svobo'.
'Svobo' is quite common and has many variations ~ and it is found all over easterm Europe.
Hydra was a magnet for refugees from other parts of the Balkans for some time, so this might explain it.

I have found people with the name Svombo(s) and Svompo(s) in the USA & I am guessing that they are related. Some people with similar names may also be related, or may just be part of the large number of people with 'Svobo' type names.

Recently I joined 'Ancestry' for a free trial and found some interesting info.

An Ellen Svombo, daughter of John Svombo and Mary O'Keefe, was baptised in Queenstown only three days from when my Lazaros Svombo was baptised there.

A Demettre Svombo from Hydra  (Idra) was in port in Southampton for the 1881 census, along with the rest of the Hydriot crew.

So, it seems that there were other Svombos over here, at least at times, as well as my ancestors. They must have been related.

So ..
Is anyone, out there, descended from a Svombo, other than Nicholas Svombo?

Indeed, is there anyone, whom I haven't yet made contact with, who is descended from Nicholas Svombo?

Has anyone come across any Svombos ~ anywhere ~ who I may not know about?
(By the way, I am in touch with Svombo / Swombo / Swanbo relatives in the UK.)

Has anyone got anything to add that might help me with my quest to find out as much as possible about this line?

Thank you!  :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck