Author Topic: Thorpe Roll of Honour WW2  (Read 3263 times)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thorpe Roll of Honour WW2
« on: Wednesday 20 February 08 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On this Roll of Honour are listed 14 men who according to the inscription lost their lives. I have checked with the CWGC list and not one name did I find. Did they infact die, or has their been a mistake with the names, can any one help.

regards
Alf

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thorpe Roll of Honour WW2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 08 10:39 GMT (UK) »
It sometimes happens that a name on a memorial is found not to be commemorated by the CWGC. Not surprising given the large numbers,circumstances etc, but they will always add names given sufficient evidence.  But for ALL the names on a memorial to be missing suggests something else. Some memorials are just to those who returned, or those who served, but you say the inscription suggests these people died. Perhaps the CWGC site was malfunctioning as sites do from time to time?  Did you search under the appropriate war period?

Why not put some of the names on here and let us take a look?

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 08 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Imber

I have a photo of the Roll of Honour which is now attached

There are no other plaques which show any WW2 fallen which I find strange, may be the folks of this village were lucky that no one fell

Alf

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 February 08 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I have misunderstood your question, but doesn't the manuscript annotation make it clear that that there were no deaths in WW2. Perhaps it was unwise to use a standard Roll of Honour but the message seems clear enough, don't you think?
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)