Author Topic: Public Libraries  (Read 1866 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Public Libraries
« on: Wednesday 20 February 08 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. I just wanted to reiterate the importance of public libraries in the states for research. I always contact public libraries for obits when it applies. I recently contacted a library for an obit for my grandfather and not only did I get that, I got another article about my grandfather, two obits for his mother and two articles about the house my grandfather owned. All in two days, and all for no money. So helpful, and so much fun. Even when there has been a charge, it is a very minimal charge. And I often get more info from the obit than the death cert.

Yay for public libraries.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Public Libraries
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Also, as I mentioned to Kath recently, sometimes you can get a library card from a big city library for free if you live/work in the same state.  They often have databases that you can use from home, such as newspaper databases.  The New York Public Library will do it for people who live or work in New York State.   I took a look at some websites of libraries in major US cities and found that the Chicago library will do this for Illinois residents and the Philadelphia library does it for Pennsylvania residents with a library card.