Author Topic: Thomas Falconer  (Read 7646 times)

Offline lochlass

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Falconer
« on: Thursday 21 February 08 04:45 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for  possible birth date and parentage of Thomas Falconer who was born c. 1757 & married Helen Simpson.  They had a daughter Grizel who went on to marry Donald (Daniel) McLeish.  I'm hoping someone out there has been researching the same line. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Falconer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 08 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Where about in Perth is Helen Simpson from?
I also have Simpsons in Perthshire but I only managed to trace back as far as the 1800s.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline lochlass

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 08 05:52 GMT (UK) »
According to what I've got, Helen was born in Edinburgh, Midlothian, on 21 Sep 1767.  Her parents were Richard Simpson & Ann Deans.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 March 08 18:34 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of baptisms on Scotlands people, 1/1/1757 Kirkmichael, Perth, parents James Falconer & Melvil the second one is 15/1/1758 , Leith South, Edinburgh Midlothian parents James Falconer & Elizabeth Lightbody. Checked between 1752 and 1762, if you are sure it's in Perthshire then the first one looks pretty good.

All the best

Shirl

North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 March 08 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention Grizel's baptism record shows:

12 Jan 1792 Thomas Falconer ,Smith,  and Helen Simson had a daughter born and baptised 12th her name Grizel

Smith I assume means blacksmith or similar

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline outofperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 21:50 BST (UK) »
I too am interested in Thomas Falconer and Helen Simpson, their ancestors, and their descendants. I lean toward James Falconer and Melvil Millar as the parents of Thomas (m. Aug. 25, 1747), and James Simpson and Grissel Duncan as the parents of Helen Simpson.
Thomas and Helen had the following children as far as I know: Grizel (b. 1792), George (b. 1793), Thomas (b. 1794), William (b. 1796), John (b. 1798), Duncan (b. 1801), Christian (b. 1804), George Baird (b. 1806), Isabel (b. 1807).
Any more information or corrections on any of these people will be much appreciated.

Offline fredthompson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Meikle Trochry, Little Dunkeld, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Falconer/Grizel falconer
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 11 02:21 BST (UK) »
hi Lochlass
I have Grizel falconer and Donald (Daniel) McLeish in my family tree way way back Donald (daniel) is 1 st cousin 5 times removed his father William is my 4th great grand uncle.
all linked back via a headstone in Little dunkeld, where grizel is buried in the memorial inscriptions in little dunkeld church handbook headstone no 486 east face 1788 here lyes in hope of a glorious resurrection the bones and ashes of Will(m) Mcleish, late tennant in Meikle Trochry in Strathbrand, who diee in 1740 aged 58 years, also his spouse Margret McFarland who died in 1771 aged 62years, their son John McLeish in Knowhead died in 1806 aged 80 and his wife Kathrine Young died in 1790 aged 60 years, Daniel McLeish died 18th Feb 1879 aged 96, Grizel Falconer, his wife, died 14th may 1867 aged 76years.
i have attached a photo of this head stone Grizel name is near the bottom
i hope this helps fred
McLeish, Cairns, Davis, Strang, Sturgeon, in the following areas of Scotland, fife, stirlingshire, Haddington, Also in Australia in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria

Offline outofperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Since my last reply in 2008 about Thomas Falconer, I've found out a bit more about him and his wife Helen Simpson, but his parents, birthdate and death info are still speculative.
Thomas eloped with Helen from Edinburgh to Dunkeld, Perthshire, where they married. He was a gunsmith, as was their son Duncan. He became a burgess and guild brother in Edinburgh in 1804, by right of his wife's father, who was Richard Simpson, a grocer.
Among possible parents for Thomas, besides those mentioned in previous posts, are George Falconer and Janet Thompson, of St. Cuthbert's Parish in Edinburgh (Thomas named his first-born son George). George and Janet's son Thomas was born in St. Cuthbert's in 1769. There are other candidates, such as a Thomas born in East Lothian.
My current knowledge of Thomas and Helen and their descendants, including Grizel and Donald McLeish, is at http://dunkeldfalconer.tribalpages.com.

Offline fredthompson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Meikle Trochry, Little Dunkeld, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 02:11 BST (UK) »
Re John McLeish son of John (b. 1726) and Kathrine Young. in my tree i have him born in 1767 between Katrin and Jean.
he Married Elspeth Elizabeth McLeish. this is the side that eventually came to NSW in the 1877 by way of John's grandson Daniel.
John's Brother Donald (Daniel) McLeish husband of Grizel Falconer line came to Victoria, Australia around 1848/49 many of Donald and Grizel's  11 children died in victoria.
McLeish, Cairns, Davis, Strang, Sturgeon, in the following areas of Scotland, fife, stirlingshire, Haddington, Also in Australia in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria