Author Topic: William Gerald Baillie born 1892 Castleblayney  (Read 4980 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Gerald Baillie born 1892 Castleblayney
« on: Thursday 21 February 08 17:46 GMT (UK) »
William Gerald Baillie declared that he was born in Castleblayney when he was drafted into the US Army in WW2.  I know that his father was called Samuel, he had a sister Elizabeth Moss Baillie, a brother John and another sister called Miriam.  They all lived in Belfast in the early 1900s, but how do I go about finding their births and their father's marriage????
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Gerald Baillie born 1892 Castleblayney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 March 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Need to update my first message.
William Gerald Baillie's parents were:
Samuel BAILLIE (or variants) and Minnie (? Mary) RUDDEN
If they were married in Castleblayney, where would I find their marriage?
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 08 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the passenger manifest for William's entry in U.S.? both pages should have lots of information like name and address of nearest relatives in U.K.
Not sure if Emerald Ancestors site will have details of the parents' marriage but if they do I'm sure someone on here will find it for you.
There's a chance the family signed Ulster Covenant in 1912 which would give an address of townland (see PRONI website to search)- they also have some Will extracts which can be searched.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Agahdowey, William Gerald was married when he entered the US and gave his wife's nameas next of kin.
His parents' marriage doesn't appear on Emerald Ancestors, even if I change the spelling of both surnames.By 1912 they were living in Belfast and I have all that info.  It's the Castleblayney birth that is the bug, as Castleblayney was also a registration district in Co. Armagh.  If they married in Co. Monaghan I don't know where to search.
There are Baillies in Newtownhamilton who might be Samuel's family, but I would expect that he married in the bride's church.
By the way, William's eldest daughter, Margaretta has just died in America aged 91.  I had only just found the family a few weeks ago. and am now trying to work backwards for them. 
Regards,RosemaryJoan

Offline roilafferty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 July 08 16:51 BST (UK) »
William Gerald Baillie declared that he was born in Castleblayney when he was drafted into the US Army in WW2.  I know that his father was called Samuel, he had a sister Elizabeth Moss Baillie, a brother John and another sister called Miriam.  They all lived in Belfast in the early 1900s, but how do I go about finding their births and their father's marriage????

Offline roilafferty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 08 16:54 BST (UK) »
There was Robert Bailey(Bailie) who was the crown solicitor in the Square, Castleblayney and another Bailey family who lived at Tullyvin. have you details of those? if you wish to acquire birth or marriage certs do a google search for the General registration office, Ireland and you will find details there.  Are you sure he married in Ireland? Roisin

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 11:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply.  I've been away.  Samuel Baillie (Bailey) was married to Mary Rudden some time before 1892 when William Gerald was born.  I will contact the Registrar's Office in Dublin to see if I can find their marriage. I thought there might have been a 'pay per view' site. Thanks, RosemaryJoan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 12:15 BST (UK) »
A bit of good news for you- 1911 census for Counties Antrim, Down & Kerry are supposed to be added in October!
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/futureplans.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey.  Can't wait!! RosemaryJoan