Author Topic: any suggestions???? im baffled  (Read 939 times)

Offline chris64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
any suggestions???? im baffled
« on: Friday 22 February 08 16:57 GMT (UK) »
my gg grandma clara thornley wed edwin glover aird on the 1881 census they are living in ardwick manchester along with daug sarah son herbert and 2 younger daughters mary and jessie on this census herbert is given as being 8 years old so should have been born around 1873 in skipton yorks, i have looked for him on the 1891 and the 1901 but cannot find him anywhere i know where the rest of the family are just not him the problem lies with the bmd i can find sarah, mary and jessie no problem but there dosnt appear to be a birth registered for him and no death either so did he exsist? according to the 1881 census he did i just dont know where to go from here. ANY SUGGESTIONS....chris
kirk selston and greasleynotts. allen selston notts.scothern selston notts. adkins pentrich derby. wall riddings derby. aird manchester and skipton yorks. thornley newhall and stanton derby.chamberlain newhall and stanton smith newhall and stanton. hart moira leic and newhall derby. curtis ashby de la zouch.  charles normanton on soar notts. pebberdy normanton on soar. pepper gotham notts.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: any suggestions???? im baffled
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 February 08 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Okay, so the marriage actually took place in 1872. Sarah was born before that - from first marriage? Herbert's age might not be exact on the census.

There is a Sarah Thornley aged 5 on 1871 with grandparents Joseph and Sarah, whose birthplace matches the 1881 census.  In 1861 Joseph and Sarah have daughter Clara with them.  In 1871 the same Clara appears to be in Skipton, Yorkshire with sister and brother-in-law. (if you don't have access to these censuses I'll type them out for you).

In Sep 1871 quarter Herbert Edgar Thornley was born in Skipton district. I think this may well be your Herbert. He married in 1903 in Manchester, also using the Thornley name.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 08 22:44 GMT (UK) »
hi, thanks for your reply its nice to get someone elses take on this i do have access to the census etc but thanks anyway, i have come across the herbert edgar thornley you mentioned and did wonder if this could be the one im looking for, its possible he was born out of wedlock as her daughter sarah 1866 was, clara wed in 1872 and i know clara was living in skipton in 1871 with her sister ill look more into the herbert edgar and see what i come up with thanks for your help its much appreciated...chris
kirk selston and greasleynotts. allen selston notts.scothern selston notts. adkins pentrich derby. wall riddings derby. aird manchester and skipton yorks. thornley newhall and stanton derby.chamberlain newhall and stanton smith newhall and stanton. hart moira leic and newhall derby. curtis ashby de la zouch.  charles normanton on soar notts. pebberdy normanton on soar. pepper gotham notts.

Offline chris64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 February 08 23:23 GMT (UK) »
hi, ive been looking through the census,s trying to find herbert edgar thornley/aird in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 but theres no trace of him so i cannot either prove or disprove if its him or not but it does seem proberble as clara was in skipton in 1871 at the time of his birth and the family moved to the manchester area around 1873 clara lived in that area till her death in 1886, her husband edwin and daughter jessie moved back to skipton sometime before 1901 but its likley that herbert stayed in manchester, ill have to purchase the birth cert to find out one way or another if its him or not ive got the number off bmd...thanks for your help...chris