Author Topic: Help needed with witnesses to marriage Merthyr Tyd 1919 - please!  (Read 2327 times)

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help needed with witnesses to marriage Merthyr Tyd 1919 - please!
« on: Sunday 09 January 05 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could anyone help with the following I would like to find out information on the following.

Marriage between Edwin Maynard Wilkins 24 years Jeweller, residing at 133 Pennant St Ebbw Vale fathers name Caleb Wilkins and Mary Blodwen George 28 years of 34 Edward St Pant Dowlais father Thomas George (deceased)  date of marriage was 17th November 1919 at Merthyr Tydfil register office.  The witnesses names are S Lewis and Margaret Jones. 

Mary was widowed in 1922 but had my father in 1924 whose name was Charles Gildus Wilkins but the father although it did not appear on the birth cert did appear on the admission form for fostering as Fred Norris Electrician.  I am interested though to see if anyone knows of S Lewis who was a witness to the marriage as there is a Gildus Lewis born in 1901 for the Pontypridd area and we are wondering if he is connected with the witness to this marriage.

Mary Blodwen George was born in Newtown Montgomeryshire and Edwin Wilkins at Chipping Norton Oxon. 

Does anyone who anything also about Fred/Frederick Norris. 

Desperate to find out.

Thanks

Janet

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with witnesses to marriage Merthyr Tyd 1919 - please!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 05 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet

You haven't had much joy with this have you?

I don't think I can help  much either, but wondered what you have tried so far?    Maybe they lived nearby?  I have a case of a widow marrying a man who was formerly her lodger, for example.   Have you checked for a later marriage for the widow or Mr Norris?

I'm sure you have done all these things, but if I can help please let me know. (At least you'll go back to the top of the lists now!)

Arranroots.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 05 22:53 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't had any luck with this so far - its so frustrating as I only have a name and not an age - very little to go on - but Fred Norris would have been my granddad.  Mary Blodwen Wilkins never remarried after having my father.  As she was widowed and therefore free to take off with someone else there must have been some reason why she did not stay with Fred Norris.  If anyone can help find suitable Norris's for research I would be pleased  I believe would be in glamorgan area.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 January 05 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet

There are 10 Fred* Norris in Wales in 1891, 8 in Glamorgan ages ranging from 4 to 45.  He may not even have been born then?  There were 3 born later: in 1902 Pontypriddd, 1903 Merthyr and 1907 Newport. 

Do you have the 1891 census for Llanidloes with Mary on it?  She is given as Mary E, but I'm sure it's her: parents Thomas and Sarah, older sister Sarah A.  REF RG12/4590 F12 P2.  Maybe either her mother or sister married a Lewis?

The name Gildus seems to stem from a Bangor monk,renowned for his histoical writings and is pretty unusual as you no doubt know.

That 's it for tonight, but I may get back to it later (I hate mysteries and you need to know about this one!)

Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)