Author Topic: The Burt History  (Read 56535 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Burt History
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 February 08 23:41 GMT (UK) »

Hello Again,

Back to the drawing board! Now, researchers will be able to follow me into the next part of the history of the Burts knowing that they will have to beware of such things as second marriages and members of the family marrying the sisters and/or brothers of a nearby family. I can hear the groans from here, but I assure you that this kind of researching as sure as Hell beats the dry as dust stuff that we all have to plough through!

Peter Burt, who was born on the 2nd March, 1753 at Pitferren, Dunfermline, was the son of Andrew Burt and Isabella Wilson (maybe that Christian Name should be Isobel?). He married Christian Penman, the daughter of Alexander Penman and Jane Trotter on the 29th October, 1784 at Dunfermline in Fife.
They had the following children:

Andrew Burt born 6th September, 1785 at Berrielaw, Dunfermline.
Alexander Burt born 29th December, 1786 at Berrielaw, Dunfermline. He went on to marry Isabella Allan.
Janet Burt born 2nd January, 1789 at Berrielaw, Dunfermline.
Peter Burt born 11th December, 1795 at Rumblingwell, Dunfermline. He was the subject of my last posting and is thought by me to have married Ann Allan and Isabella Stewart.
Eleanor or Helen (commonly called Nelly!) Burt
born 15th July, 1803 at Blackburn, Dunfermline.

I'm sure that you would have noted the names Isabella Allan and Ann Allan. Perhaps you would like to follow up any connection there.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Tom, regarding the marriage(s) of Peter Burt, the OPR's on SP have 5 marriage records in Fife for the name Peter Burt.

23/01/1809 BURT PETER EUPHAN COWPER/FR3277 M Dunfermline /FIFE

06/03/1812 BURT PETER ANN ALLAN/FR3307 M Dunfermline /FIFE

30/10/1815 BURT PETER MARY PHILP/FR3341 M Dunfermline /FIFE

12/03/1817 BURT PETER ISABEL SPOUART/FR3358 M Dunfermline /FIFE

08/08/1830 BURT PETER ANN DUNSYRE/ M Wemyss /FIFE

The record you provided as Isabella Stewart appears as Isabel Spouart. Are the sources you are using 'submitted' records? Is it possibly a mis-transcription for Stuart/Stewart or is it Spowart which you have mentioned in the past?

I have checked for births to this couple and it seems to confirm Spowart not Stewart

10/03/1821 BURT ALEXANDER PETER BURT/ISABELLA SPOWART FR3580 M Dunfermline /FIFE

18/08/1829 BURT ANDREW PETER BURT/ISABELLA SPOWART FR3862 M Dunfermline /FIFE

18/02/1827 BURT DAVID PETER BURT/ISABELLA SPOWART FR3784 M Dunfermline /FIFE

20/12/1831 BURT THOMAS PETER BURT/ISABELLA SPOWART FR3924 M Dunfermline /FI

Note to Beans, while checking those birth I came across some born to PETER BURT/ANNE DRYLIE

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 01:19 GMT (UK) »

Hello "Sancti",

Many thanks for your kindness in going on to S.P. Yes, I was painfully aware of thisIsabella Stewart/Spowart thing and tried to warn other people about it. It really seems to be a bit of a problem. As I said in my previous posting, the different children makes me see stars! What could be a wy of checking on Isabella Stewart is to look at her death details. She was supposed to have been buried at Dunfermline on the 5th January, 1846. If her Death Certificate does sy that her husband really was Peter Burt, then maybe I can go back to sleep agai.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 01:28 GMT (UK) »
hi sancti as a way of helping to clear up errors in families sent to me by others tom is reviewing the burts in my file.  i am not sure what is correct and what is an error so if you can send on whatever you found on peter burt and annie drylie i would appreciate being able to verify that family also    many thanks for helping me with this it has turned into a huge problem.    beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I dont think there are death records pre 1855.

I checked SP and there are no Peter Burt/Stewart marriages between 1720 - 1854 anywhere in Scotland

The marriage and births do say Burt/Spowart

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 01:43 GMT (UK) »

Hello again, "Sancti",

Maybe another way of solving it is to look at:

Joseph Burt born 1819 at Dunfermline
Alexander Burt born 10th March, 1821 at Southlethens, Dunfermline
Isabella Burt born 1826 at Soutlethens, Dunfermline
David Burt born 18th February, 1827 at Southlethens, Dunfermline.

If SP has picked up those births, then it should tell us who their parents were. If one of the parents is Peter Burt, then it should also show who his wife was.

Again, I did invite other researchers to have a long, hard look at the conflicting data, and I think that it's really kind of you to carry out a more intensive search. Since Joseph, Alexander, Isabella and David Burt certainly existed, then they must have had parents! The problem appears to be in the name of their Mum. Now, isn't that a turn-up for the books, since I was always taught that you always know who your Mum was, but your Dad? I'll probably get a rap over the knuckles for that 'tongue-in-cheek" remark from Monica, but she know's me my now - totally incorrigible!

Again, very many thanks for your assistance - it's greatly appreciated.

Tom.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Beans

Marriages from SP

30/11/1810 BURT HELEN PETER DRYLIE/FR3292 F Dunfermline /FIFE

28/10/1837 BURT PETER ANNE DRAWLY/ M Torryburn /FIFE

Drylie(sp) Burt births from SP

08/12/1811 DRAYLEY ANNA RANALDSON born to PETER DRAYLEY/HELEN BURT F Culross (Perth) /PERTH

1 18/07/1838 BURT ALEXANDER born to PETER BURT/ANNE DRYLIE FR4472 M Dunfermline /FIFE  

2 09/08/1838 BURT ALEXANDER born toPETER BURT/ANNE DRAWLY M Torryburn /FIFE

3 02/03/1845 BURT ANDREW born to PETER BURT/ANNE DRAILEY M Clackmannan /CLACKMANNAN  

4 22/10/1840 BURT HELEN born to PETER BURT/ANNE DRYLIE FR4472 F Dunfermline /FIFE

5 04/12/1842 BURT PETER born to PETER BURT/ANNE DRAWLY M Torryburn /FIFE

There are also a number of births to PETER DRYLAY/HELEN CUNNINGHAM

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 01:52 GMT (UK) »

Hello again, "Sancti",

Maybe another way of solving it is to look at:

Joseph Burt born 1819 at Dunfermline
Alexander Burt born 10th March, 1821 at Southlethens, Dunfermline
Isabella Burt born 1826 at Soutlethens, Dunfermline
David Burt born 18th February, 1827 at Southlethens, Dunfermline.

If SP has picked up those births, then it should tell us who their parents were. If one of the parents is Peter Burt, then it should also show who his wife was.

Again, I did invite other researchers to have a long, hard look at the conflicting data, and I think that it's really kind of you to carry out a more intensive search. Since Joseph, Alexander, Isabella and David Burt certainly existed, then they must have had parents! The problem appears to be in the name of their Mum. Now, isn't that a turn-up for the books, since I was always taught that you always know who your Mum was, but your Dad? I'll probably get a rap over the knuckles for that 'tongue-in-cheek" remark from Monica, but she know's me my now - totally incorrigible!

Again, very many thanks for your assistance - it's greatly appreciated.

Tom.

10/03/1821 BURT ALEXANDER PETER BURT/ISABELLA SPOWART FR3580 M Dunfermline /FIFE

18/02/1827 BURT DAVID PETER BURT/ISABELLA SPOWART FR3784 M Dunfermline /FIFE

No records for Joseph or Isabella

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 01:53 GMT (UK) »
hi sancti all those different spellings for drylie are they all the same ann?  beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness