Author Topic: Burial records  (Read 646 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Burial records
« on: Tuesday 04 March 08 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Chatters,

The LDS do not extract data from parish burial registers so I thought it might be an idea to let those who never see PR's, see the sort of things sometimes given in them.

I've found that not many vicars give much info. about burials so it's refreshing to find one who does: one vicar of Stonehouse GLS was such a man and he gave some causes of deaths.

Here's a few entries I transcribed :-

"1752 Dec(?) 9  John Mason found dead in ye street as he was returning from the alehouse w'th his neck broken none knows how abt  Tuesday ?. . . . . . . . . . . . .? a dreadful Warning to drunkards & Publick House Keepers."

"Jan 4th Elizabeth wife of Richard Cole in Labour"

"Nov 15th Thomas Cotham  drink"

1756 between 29th May and 14 July inclusive there were 7 burials and all the deaths were caused by smallpox.

And finally, on the slightly lighter side, in 1757 is entered: "Jan 1st William Caudle & Dog Drowned"  It does not say if the dog was in the coffin, but nor does it say it wasn't!!

If you would like more snippets, please say so.

Regards

Chas

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Burial records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I'll bite, Chas!!  ;D  I'd like more!  ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland