Author Topic: Evan(s) WOOSNAM: Baptism in Mainstone  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Evan(s) WOOSNAM: Baptism in Mainstone
« on: Wednesday 05 March 08 09:51 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to the parish registers for Mainstone I should be very grateful for a look-up for the following:

Evan(s) Woosnam, born between 1801-1807 in Mainstone, Shropshire. 

I am looking to confirm (1) the names of his parents - who were possibly William and Sarah Woosnam - and (2) his date of baptism. 

Thank you!

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline AussieGirl?????

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evan(s) WOOSNAM: Baptism in Mainstone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

As your post is over 10 years ago I'm assuming (and I know one should not do so) you have found the information you requested? I was glad to see that you had recently been active on the site, hence my reply/question.

I am descended from Evan WOOSNAM baptized on 6 May 1799 at Mainstone. Name has been transcribed as WOSANHAM. Parents were Evan WOOSNAM and Elizabeth WEAVER. His DOB is shown as 1801 on the 1841 Census.
Does this match with your request?

If so, have you been able to find out anything about Evan (the father)? I have info of an Evan buried on 28 Jul 1833 at Bishop's Castle, aged 78 which make birth about 1755 but so far unsuccessful in finding any records to take my search back any further or to indicate his parents.

Regards
Deb
Woosnam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb, and thank you for your response as I hadn't got any further with this.  I can now rule this Evan definitely out of my Woosnam line. 

My curiosity was aroused as Evan and his first wife Anne name a daughter Margaret Chelmick Woosnam.  I was wondering if this indicated a connection between him and my line of Woosnams as the Chelmick/Chilmick name has been used as a middle name by descendants of one of the numerous William Woosnams.  This one married Sarah Chelmick/Chilmick at Shrewsbury St Chads, 1805.  Their first documented son was also born that year but I wanted to be sure that Evan wasn't theirs pre-marriage because the choice of name for his daughter was suggestive.  Was his wife Anne a Chelmick/Chilmick, do you know?  It is an eye-catching combination!

I haven't yet come across anything regarding Evan Woosnam and Elizabeth Weaver.  If I do, I'll pass it on.

Thanks again  :)

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline AussieGirl?????

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

There is a baptism record for Anne CHILMICK (Bap. 1800 in Chirbury Shopshire, Father William, Mother Margaret).
Anne CHILMICK married Evan WOOSNAM in 1823. In signing her name it is definitely an 'i' not an 'e' in her name.
Evan's wife Anne, was buried in 1843 aged 43 making her DOB 1800.

Makes you wonder why Margaret's middle name is spelt Chelmick? Though I do recall both spellings being used on different documents relating to the one person.

If I find an Anne/Sarah link I'll let you know.
Deb
Woosnam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 14:59 GMT (UK) »
The spellings are often used interchangably.  Both women do seem to have been intent on keeping their family name going - perhaps no boys in their generation to carry it on? 

If I find anything I, too, will let you know.

Rachel