Author Topic: George Holmes Look up Help please  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Ironsides

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Holmes Look up Help please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 June 08 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,
          well it has been a busy time for me. Since my last email i have had a new Marriage Certificate for my grandfather, and have found his fathers name was Thomas.
Then only last week i found a small lead which could be wrong but i hope is correct. It was that Thoma s's father was James. I followed that lead and found James Holmes who was from a place very close to where Thomas lived in Andover called Burpham, which took me all the way back to Major General Abraham Holmes who fought for the Duke of Monmouth against the King along with his son Major Richard Holmes who died at the battle of Sedgemore in 1685. Abraham was tried for Treason by Judge Jeffrey's (The Hanging Judge).
Abraham was Hung on the beach where he first landed at Lyme Regis on the 12 September 1685 along with quite a few others.
How can i check if he was my Ancestor for certain, as i  only found the details on Family Search.
Do you have any clues or hints i could use to find out please.
Thank You
Pete

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 June 08 12:58 BST (UK) »
a new Marriage Certificate for my grandfather, and have found his fathers name was Thomas

So does this mean George is a red herring?

How can i check if he was my Ancestor for certain, as i  only found the details on Family Search.

You need to verify the links between the generations by using the primary sources - parish registers and other documents.  It may well turn out ot be true.  :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ironsides

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 June 08 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,
           sorry about that, What i meant to say was that Thomas was George's Father my Great Great Great Grandfather. He was born in 1760 in Andover.
Pete

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 June 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hmm.... so what do you currently think the line looks like?  Not having much luck with a Thomas Holmes born in Andover or a George Holmes, son of Thomas.  ? Non-conformists?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sam2908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I know this is an old post but I have only just joined this group.

My 3 x Great Grandmother was Ann Holmes born in Buriton and christened on 9/3/1817 - parents George & Elizabeth. I have connected (probably in error) - her father George to the one who married harriett Willmore in 1838. I have connected them because in 1841 Jane Holmes (also christened Buriton to parents George and Elizabeth) is living with George and Harriett and James Holmes is living with them in 1841 and 1851 (he was born in 1830).

Do you know if I am wrong?

Thanks

Sam
Yates - Hampshire
Merritt, Naylor, Pinder, Leak, L'Estrange