Author Topic: Grave Search - Northchurch  (Read 5361 times)

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Search - Northchurch
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 March 08 14:33 GMT (UK) »
My son used more intelligence than me, (not unusual  ;))

If you look at Google Earth, (or similar), there is clearly quite a large cemetery beside South Bank Road.

A lot of it seems to be masked by very high trees, which is why I've driven past it many a time, not knowing it's there.

There appear to be enough graves that it could take a while to find a particular one.  If I can get down there, do you have any idea where the one you are after is located, please ?

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 March 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stefan,

After reading your replies you seem to of left me a bit confused , I grew up in Nortchurch as did my father and all his family and ever since i was a young girl my dad had told me that his mother had died when he was a young age and this graveyard off South Bank Road is where his mother was laid to rest , I was always on the understanding from my father that this graveyard was part of St Marys Northchurch.

I rang St Peters Church during last week and the lady there also told me that this yard was part of St Marys Church and i would need to contact them as they would hold the records for that graveyard, this as ive said in my previous postings has proven to be hard as there is no answer from either mobile , landline and ive also sent an email that returned to me by postmaster .

Where near Northcurch do you live ?

Regards Chelle

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 March 08 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stefan ,

I have phoned Dacorum County Council and they have told me that the cemetery off South Bank Rd definitely isn't council run , Dacorum only hold four cemeteries and Northchurch is not one of them , just thought id let you know  :)

So my quest continues ,

Chelle

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 March 08 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I was always on the understanding from my father that this graveyard was part of St Marys Northchurch.

I rang St Peters Church during last week and the lady there also told me that this yard was part of St Marys Church and i would need to contact them as they would hold the records for that graveyard,
OK 'Chelle - I stand corrected. I'm sure your information must be good.

I guess I got side-tracked by comments before I posted that it must be a municipal cemetery, rather than a church graveyard.

It sounds like St Mary's, Northchurch must have run out of space around the church, and hence used a plot further up the hill, (perhaps they still do ?).  This is all education to me - I had no idea whatsoever that there are graves there.

Which is it you want, please ? - someone to look for a marked grave, or somebody to get in touch with St Mary's for details of the burial.

I'm happy to try and look for the grave, (but will wait for better weather than today!), but do you have any idea of location within what looks like quite a large area, please ?

I'm not sure I can help much with contact with the church, if they don't respond, though.

I assume you have seen this "Contact Us" page ?

http://www.stmarysnorthchurch.com/contactUs.asp

It lists more than one phone number, and on the face of it also links to more than 1 e-mail address, but it sounds like you have tried quite hard already.

Stef.

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 March 08 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I have phoned Dacorum County Council and they have told me that the cemetery off South Bank Rd definitely isn't council run , Dacorum only hold four cemeteries and Northchurch is not one of them , just thought id let you know  :)
Yes, I realised already it wouldn't be a current council managed one, but wrongly thought it might be an old one.

You have convinced me it belongs to the church, even though the canal and quite a lot of housing separate the two.

I am curious enough to go up there, (in better weather!), but an idea as to where the grave might be would help.

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 March 08 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stefan ,

Thanks for getting back to me , i thought i may of scared you off  :-[ .    Yes i think well gather that long ago with the main church yard possibly filled that the space they had and  bought  that ground up in South Bank Rd for use of burials. I'm sorry i really couldn't tell you where abouts she is , i used to look years ago when i lived there but some of the stones were unreadable and at the time i wasn't into family research so never investigated further into finding the grave .

As to the area looking quite big , it really isn't all that big , and the trees don't hide that many graves either, but location well I'm afraid i don't know which is why Ive been trying to contact the church .

Thankyou so much for your offer to go up there but i suppose it will be like finding a needle in a hay stack wont it unless you have patience to look. I wish i could be of more help to you i feel so bad that Ive come up with this idea that i have no answers to  :'(  .

So yes your offer of looking for the grave is most grateful but i think to help you i need to get in contact with the minister.

Can i contact you via email to let you know how things are going ?

Whereabouts in Northchurch are you Stefan I'm originally from Dudswell by the canal.

Warmest Thanks Chelle

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 March 08 15:49 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just got through to the church  ;D Minister wasn't there  :'( but i have left my number for him to ring me back later , so will keep you up to date  :)

Chelle

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 March 08 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Minister as got back to me , hes going down to the church tomorrow to look into the church records for my Gran`s burial  :)

Chelle

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Search over Grans grave has been found :)

Relief and joy felt :)

Chelle