Author Topic: William Coleman born 1810ish and John Thurman born 1761ish  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Jarv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Coleman born 1810ish and John Thurman born 1761ish
« on: Tuesday 11 January 05 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I have traced back to William Coleman born 1810 in Grendon on the Warks/ Leics border. I know he lived in Long Clawson but was born in Grendon according to the census of 1851.

I have found records dated 1845 of William Coleman "2nd son of William" and "son of Edward Coleman" detailed in the same will. His 2nd son was William but would have been 2 or 3 so I'm unsure who his father was?

Also next to William according to the census detailed in 1841 is John Thurman who was 80 years old (so born in 1761). It is the theme that mothers Maiden names become childrens Christian names in the Coleman family and Thurman appears from then on (including one John Thurman Coleman). I wondered if there was a link between the Coleman and John Thurman family. I have found details of both Thurman and Coleman in Grendon and Long Clawson. If anyone knows anything about either that would be great!

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: William Coleman born 1810ish and John Thurman born 1761ish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
John THURMAN was buried 27th January 1849 @ St Remigius, Long Clawson.
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Coleman born 1810ish and John Thurman born 1761ish
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 19 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jarv I think you responded to another post back in 2004 - 2005 and I added some information and still asked questions as well.
Follow roots link and my 2 comments were made yesterday 14 years after the original post:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=24991.msg6661698#msg6661698
As mentioned by Victor he is buried at at St Remigius Churchyard Long Clawson, Melton Borough, Leicestershire. His age at death in 1849 is given as 95 years, so age on 1841 Census 80 -84 was wrong. I believe he was born in 1755 at Polesworth, Warwickshire so his actual age nearer to 94 years.

Andy
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw