Author Topic: Tipperary records and HOULAHAN (COMPLETED)  (Read 2099 times)

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
Tipperary records and HOULAHAN (COMPLETED)
« on: Saturday 08 March 08 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I have been seeking the marriage of my ancestors Mary HOULAHAN (HOULIHAN) and William PARTRIDGE for some time.  The IGI has two children born to them:
WILLIAM PARTRIDGE - 27 AUG 1867 0832, Newry, Armagh, Ireland
and
MARY ANNE PARTRIDGE 10 NOV 1868 , Cork, Ireland
Both of these children died and my grandmother Elizabeth Catherine born 1870 was the first child to reach adulthood.

So far I haven't found a marriage in Armagh or Cork for for William and Mary.

William PARTRIDGE was in the 39th Foot (Dorset Regiment) and presumably met Mary HOULAHAN when on military service in Ireland as he was a Herefordshire boy.  I haven't been able to establish whether the 39th Foot were in Tipperary in the 1860s but I did find a marriage for a Mary HOULAHAN in 1864 in Tipperary.  There is also a marriage for a William PARTRIDGE in the same year.  As far as I know the record can't been viewed other than by me spending my 10 Euros.  Do I take the risk?  My Mary HOULAHAN was born around 1844 so would have been around 20 at the time of this marriage.  In 1871, 1881 and 1891 Mary is in Kent, but her place of birth only says Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tipperary records and HOULAHAN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 March 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what religion Mary and William would have been? Civil registration of Catholic marriages in Ireland only started in 1864 (around the possible time of their marriage) and non-Catholic marriages from 1845.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
Re: Tipperary records and HOULAHAN COMPLETED
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 March 08 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Well, after a number of things going wrong over the last few days I decided it was time my luck changed and I would risk paying for the 1864 marriage of William PARTRIDGE in Kilkenny and discovered, yes, the bride was a Mary HOULAHAN!  So after quite a few years in the dark I have discovered that my great great grandparents were married as early as 1864 in Templemore and that my Mary's father was a James HOULAHAN, farmer.