Author Topic: Daniel Hassan from IRELAND  (Read 10981 times)

Offline Matt_Hassan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Hassan from IRELAND
« on: Tuesday 11 March 08 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on Daniel HASSAN who was born about 1832 in Ireland.  Arrived in NY in 1850 and died in NY approximately 1863.  Married Ann MCLEAN, had at least one son, William Joseph HASSAN my g-g-grandfather.

1. Would like to find any record of him in Ireland.  Looking to establish specific birth place, parents, etc.
2. Would like to find any record of his death in NY. Looking for cemetery record specifically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and Thank you.
- Matt
HASSAN - IRELAND TO NY

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Hassan from IRELAND
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births, Catholic marriages and deaths in Ireland started 1864 (other marriages from 1845) so for dates of birth and parents' names you need to search for church records (if they still exist). To do so you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just the county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on Daniel HASSAN who was born about 1832 in Ireland.  Arrived in NY in 1850 and died in NY approximately 1863.  Married Ann MCLEAN, had at least one son, William Joseph HASSAN my g-g-grandfather.

1. Would like to find any record of him in Ireland.  Looking to establish specific birth place, parents, etc.
2. Would like to find any record of his death in NY. Looking for cemetery record specifically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and Thank you.
- Matt

Hi Matt,
You say you dont know where in Ireland Daniel Hassan was born,yet you post in the Derry/Londonderry board.
Having done a bit of searching in the nine counties of Ulster, I find that Hassan was a name completely confined to the County of Derry from the earliest record I found in 1811, up until 1870.
In a total of 213 marriages involving the name Hassan,only 42 were outside of County Derry(34 in Antrim,4 in Down,3in Tyrone and 1 in Armagh).
Anyhow only two marriages of a Male Hassan were before 1844, which I list below:

21st Feb 1827  George Hassan married Betty McClos at Dungiven Roman Catholic Church in the Parish of Dungiven Civil District Newtown Limavady County Londonderry .

18th Feb 1830 Thomas Hassan married Kitty McVea at Dungiven Roman Catholic Church in the Parish of Dungiven Civil District Newtown Limavady County Londonderry .

OTTO

Offline Matt_Hassan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt replies. 

Daniel HASSAN would have most probably been Catholic, as we have been Catholic through all subsequent generations.  I really have no idea the actual townland, but I have done some other research and found that the preponderance of HASSANs come from Banagher in the county of Londonderry (Derry). 

The list below shows the number of HASSAN households in each county in the Primary Valuation property survey of 1848-64.
1. Antrim  1 
2. Derry  91 
3. Tyrone  3 
4. Westmeath  1 

Of those in Derry, nearly half of are in the civil parish of Bangher.

HASSAN households in each civil parish of Derry in 1858-9.
Parish          Households
Banagher         43
Bovevagh         6
Clondermot      4
Cumber Lower  3
Cumber Upper  8
Desertmartin    1
Desertoghill      3
Dungiven          2
Errigal               3
Faughanvale    1
Killelagh           1
Learmount       6
Maghera          9
Templemore    1

OTTO thank you too and as to your reply.  I do not know if there is a connection between George, Thomas, and my Daniel.  I had known that Hassans were largely in Derry, but I cannot confirm with certainty Daniel's birthplace but I took the shot at Derry County.  You have given me strong indication that the odds are against another place other than Derry.

Do you have any marriages of HASSANs before 1832 from your sources? 

He immigrated to the US aboard the Berlin in July 1850, arriving in New York on the 10th of July 1850.  He was 18 at the time and hence my determining that his birth was in 1832 and parents would be married around that same time if not earlier.

Thank you both for your replies!

Regards,
Matt
HASSAN - IRELAND TO NY

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Ages on early passenger lists aren't terribly reliable so wouldn't be too sure from just that record what age Daniel really was when he went to U.S. (if he was a bit younger and travelling by himself he might have conveniently aged a year or two).

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 19:08 GMT (UK) »

OTTO
 Do you have any marriages of HASSANs before 1832 from your sources? 

Regards,
Matt

Will send details by PM

OTTO

Offline oisinh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 09 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
Do you know what port Daniel left Ireland from? The usual places for County Derry people was either Port of Derry or Moville.
If hye left either of these two then you could be pretty certain that he was from Derry.

Hassan/Hasson - Derry, Ireland
Fleming - Derry
McCloskey
Gormley
Doherty - Donegal
McLaughlin
Brady
Doran - Derry/Donegal, Ireland
McGowan - Donegal

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 March 09 15:30 GMT (UK) »
There a Danl Hassan age 18 arrived New York 10 July 1850 from Liverpool, England on "Berlin" which might be the correct person.
Many Northern Ireland/Derry people also left for America from Glasgow, Scotland and  Belfast, Ireland as well as Liverpool, England.

Offline oisinh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 March 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
ah now i see why its been difficult to trace him to a particular county!
Unfortunately its difficult to say if Daniel was from Derry, even though there a only a few families from other counties called Hassan there is still a possibility that he belonged to one of these families!  ???
Hassan/Hasson - Derry, Ireland
Fleming - Derry
McCloskey
Gormley
Doherty - Donegal
McLaughlin
Brady
Doran - Derry/Donegal, Ireland
McGowan - Donegal