Author Topic: John Raeburn Inverurie COMPLETED  (Read 6258 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Raeburn Inverurie
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 March 08 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Rick

Not wanting to pop any balloon  ::)....have you actually looked at James Raeburn Snr.'s DC.  Only that birth places on the censuses up to his death indicate different places of birth:

1851: Fowgel, Banffsh (I think you need to look at the original to confirm what this actually says, maybe Fordyce)
1861: Inverury

There is an entry on IGI for a Barbara Raeburn that might fit for his sister:

BARBARA REBURN  Christening:  06 APR 1783  Fordyce, Banff, Scotland
Parents: JAMES REBURN    and ISABEL STEUART

Following James R's death it looks like a son, James, took over the farm at Denhead.  He shows there in 1871. Born 1824, he also shows a Fordynce birth place....

Might be worth verifying James R's death on SP if you haven't done so already.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rickr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 March 08 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

The death certificate gives parents as John Raeburn and Anne Stewart, with no place of birth.
James never married and I think that the James who took over the farm must have been his grandson.

I've looked on sp and I can't find any birth that matches the parent's name. Am I doing something wrong.

Also what is IGI?

Thanks,
Rickr

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 March 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rick

You are not doing anything wrong, just getting the hang of this type of research  :)  Have a read of this post from Pam here on RootsChat: www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html which provides a useful overview and will give you some background on the various resources available for research. IGI stands for International Genenealogical Index which is on this site www.familysearch.org. It includes basic entries from the Old Parish Registers and is particularly good in Scotland for the period post the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855 with the Scottish records on IGI tailing off around 1874/5. You will see also that some of the records are submitted by members rather than actual extract from the OPRs which you need to verify elsewhere.  Most importantly it is a fantastic research tool and it's free to use  ;)

In respect of James Raeburn Snr, the 1841 census entry I posted probably includes a family member from his mother's side by the look of it:

Barbara Raeburn 55, Independent
Jas Raeburn    50, farmer
John Raeburn    20
Jane Stewart    85, Independent
Christian Craw    18
Ann Duncan    14

Address: Denhead, Chapel of Garioch

Now, on to the question of James Raeburn's parents, I think this is where you are going to begin to experience some of the highs and lows of research, when parents' names don't seem to match the facts.

James died in 1877. Did he die in Denhead? Who reported his death? I ask this because his sister Barbara died in Denhead in 1868:

1868   RAEBURN   BARBARA           F   75   CHAPEL OF GARIOCH   /ABERDEEN   179/00 0010

Her parents were as I showed earlier from the IGI entry, James Raeburn and Isobel (a variant of Elizabeth) Stewart (I've had a look at her death cert to confirm). So the OPR extract on IGI in Fordyce would look to be the correct one.

Other children showing to this couple are, from the OPRs on SP:

1   21/04/1781   REBURN   JEAN   JAMES REBURN/ISABEL STEUART   U   Fordyce   /BANFF   153/ 0030 0055   
2   19/06/1785   REBURN   MARGARET   JAMES REBURN/ISABEL STUART   U   Fordyce   /BANFF   153/ 0030 0080
3   06/04/1783   REBURN   BARBARA   JAMES REBURN/ISABEL STEUART   U   Fordyce   /BANFF   153/ 0030 0069   
4   14/10/1787   REBURN   ELSPET   JAMES REBURN/ISABEL STUART   U   Fordyce   /BANFF   153/ 0030 0101   
5   14/08/1790   REBURN   JAMES   JAMES REBURN/ISOBEL STUIART   M   Fordyce   /BANFF   153/ 0030 0198   

I think you probably need to do a little more digging! Maybe the next stage is to look at the Will & Testament documents available on line at SP for James?

Raeburn   James   19/12/1877   residing at Denhead of Aquhorties, Parish of Chapel of Garioch   Will   Aberdeen Sheriff Court Wills   SC1/37/80

Raeburn   James   19/12/1877   farmer, Denhead of Aquhorties, parish of Chapel of Garioch, co of Aberdeen, d. 17/11/1877 at Denhead, testate   Extract Inventory   Aberdeen Sheriff Court Inventories   SC1/36/81

Regards.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rickr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 March 08 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
I looked at the will and death certificate for James Raeburn. He died at Denhead in 1877, the death was notified by his son, James Jnr, and everything was left to James Jnr, apart from a few small bequests.

The only mystery is that James senior was single and I've not identified the mother of James Jnr.

However James senior is definitely the father of John Raeburn, so I'll mark my original post as 'completed' and set about trying to find out more about James Raeburn and Isobel Stewart, the parents of James senior.

Thanks for all your help, I would never have got this far without you.

Rickr :)