Author Topic: BONIN-Portarlington-1699  (Read 13606 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
BONIN-Portarlington-1699
« on: Thursday 13 March 08 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for Jean Bonin and his wife Catherine, in Portarlington c. 1699.
Catherine died in 1695 and Jean remarried and lived in Portarlington, raising a family there.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: BONIN-Portarlington-1699
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 08 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Leonie,

Was Jean Bonin one of the five hundred Huguenots who had settled in Portarlington by 1700? www.frenchchurch.freeserve.co.uk/Book1.html If so he and his family may have attended the French Church in the town. www.iol.ie/~offaly/stpauls.htm

Christopher

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 08 04:10 GMT (UK) »
He was Christopher.
He recieved his denization papers in 1699.
Thanks for the info, most appreciated, will go have a look there now.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 March 08 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Nudging this up again.
I would still like to find marriage, or any other info, of Jean Bonin.
Other spellings could be; John & Bonan.
Other relations could be James, Catherine or Ann.
Thanks,
Leonie.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Not quite what you are looking for, but he surname is the same;

The Guiots originated in the Valley De Pragelas in Dauphine, as did Jean Bonin ("Tronche en Pragelas"). His first wife Catherine Jordan, whose family may have have hailed from the Briaconnais, died on 3 January 1696 and was followed by their daughter, aged about two and a half- three months later.
Bonin remarried in 1703,to Marie Ouly, daughter of a refugee family from Chalans, Switzerland. The couple had at least two sons and left Portarlington after the birth of the second, Isaac Pierre, in 1705. By  5 September 1706 the couple resided in Dublin, where they formed part of the French Non-Conformed congregation at "Golblac Lane" at least until February 1711.
================
The French Church register in Portarlington has as its first name as the baptism of Francois Cesar Meray by Pastor Jacques Gillet, dated 3 June 1694. Gillet and his successors kept their entries solely in French until 1817. Though they are not without their limitations, the Register entries have opened some windows of this early, pioneering period. Documentary proof exists for the presence of at least thirteen of these families; Freau-Vincent- Poussete-Bonin-Champ-Paster-Comte-David-Esperiat-Ouly-Marthe and Vuilly.
From clues pertaining to instances of intermarriage and limited literacy it would seem that the Bonins, Champs, Davids, Marthes, Vuillt and Ouly families would be referred to as "laboureurs".
====================
(From- Irelands Huguenots and their Refuge 1662-1754
by Raymond haven)
==========
Jack

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 February 11 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jack,  :D
At least it's somewhere else to look. I'll pass it on to my cousin in London for now, I'll get on to it when we get ourselves a bit more organised.
We're in the middle of Cyclone Yasi at present...well, it's gone past us now but we have  lots of cleaning up.
We still have a roof over our heads and plenty of supplies (generator running fridge, freezer and computer/internet.) Our garden is a whole nuther story... ::) but things will grow again.
Leonie.

Offline dask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 July 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new here but wonder if anyone could shed some light on the following. Anne Hunter married Lewis Bulliod at Geashill (Co. Offally) 1713. Is Bulliod a Huguenot or English name? I suspect Anne Hunter to be a direct descendant of mine. Based purely on surname and locality. My mother's lineage would be Hunter from Geashill which we can safely get back to 1803/1770s.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 July 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Dask,
welcome to RootsChat.
I'm in Brisbane at present and don't have access to my PC with all my family info, I don't have any of my family history websites on this computer either.
Someone else might pick up on this, if not I'll be back home in a few days, I'll get back to you and see where we can get with this.
BULLIOD sounds Huguenot. There is a couple of sites that give lists of Huguenot names, the churches and areas they settled.
Leonie.

Offline dask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 July 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi LonelBones,

Thanks for the welcome. Bulliod does sound Huguenot. Am interested also in the chats about the Blongs/Blanc of Portarlington. My great grandmother was Ellen Blanc/Blance/Blanche - the spellings are common in birthcerts/census for her. I recently acquired Ellen's birthcert (b.8 August 1867) and her father is identified as a Henry Blance, however, the Registrar has crossed out an earlier entry (I assume) for Henry Blong. When I started a search with Henry Blong I located two 'possible' siblings for Ellen (my mother remembers only 2 sisters but does remember that her own brother Arthur was named after one of her mother's uncles - an Arthur Blanc?). These siblings are a Henry Blong b.29 April 1875 and a Mary Anne Blong b.10 June 1870. All three siblings have as their father Henry Blong and mother Elizabeth Doyle and are born at Kilbride in the district of Emo.