Author Topic: Two Welsh VC's  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Two Welsh VC's
« on: Thursday 13 March 08 12:03 GMT (UK) »
This Postcard of Company Sergt. Fred Barter VC of Cardiff and Sergt. Fuller VC of Swansea was printed for "Welsh Troops Post-Card Day In Aid of The National Fund For Welsh Troops". On the back is written the date 1916

Does anyone know when/where they won their VC's?
and did the other home countries have the same "post-card day"?

Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Two Welsh VC's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
BARTER, Frederick. (Reg. No. 57)
Company Sergeant-Major Special Reserves attchd. The Royal Welch Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 29th June 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum.
Born on 17th of January 1891 at Cardiff, Wales.
Diet on 15th May 1952 at Canford Cliffs, Bournemouth.
Memorials: cremated at Bournemouth.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th May 1915 at Festubert, France, Company Sergeant-Major Barter, when in the first line of German trenches, called for volunteers to enable him to extend our line, and with the eight men who responded, he attacked the German position with bombs, capturing three German officers, 102 men and 500 yards of their trenches. He subsequently found and cut 11 of the enemy's mine. leads situated about 20 yards apart.
Additional information: Captain Barter served with the Home Guards during the Second World War. He also held the Military Cross.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 08 12:45 GMT (UK) »
FULLER William Charles. (Reg. No.433)
Lance-Corporal (later Sergeant) 2nd Battalion The Welch Regiment.
London Gazetted on 23rd November 1914.
Born on 24th March 1884 at Laugharne, Carmarthen, Wales.
Died on 29th December 1974 at Swanse, Glamorganshire, Wales.
Memorial: Buried in an unmarked grave in Oystermouth Cemetery, Swansea, Wales.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 14 September 1914 near Chivy-sur-Aisne, France, Lance-Corporal Fuller advanced under very heavy fire and machine-gun fire to pick up an officer who was mortally wounded, and carried him back to cover.
Additional information: He held the Royal Humane Society Medal for Life-saving.
He was the son of William and Mary Fuller of Laugharne, Carmarthen. Educated in Swansea, he joine the Army in 1902. He served in the European War (WW 1) from 1914 where he won his VC for saving Capt Haggard who had fallen wounded. He carried him a distance estimated at 100 yards to a ridge where he managed to dress the officer's wounds. Capt Haggard asked L/Cpl Fuller to fetch his rifle from where he'd fell. He didn't want the enemy to get it. Fuller managed to do this.
With the help of two others, Private Snooks and Lieutenant Melvin, Officer i/c the machine-gun section of the Welch Regiment, they managed to get Haggard to the safety of a barn that was being used as a First-Aid dressing station.
L/Cpl Fuller remained with Captain Haggard trying to help him until the officer Died on later that evening. His last words to Fuller were "Stick it, Welch." After he'd Died on L/Cpl Fuller attended to two ther officers who had also been brought to the barn wounded. (Lt. The Hon Fitzroy Somerset and Lt. Richards.)
The barn came under heavy fire and the wounded men and officers were evacuated. Later it was raised to the ground with shell-fire.
On the 29th of October he was wounded whilst dressing the wounds of Private Tagge a fellow soldier. Shrapnel entered his right side, twelve inches in up to his shoulder blade and came to rest on his right lung. After he was sent to the United Kingdom, in fact to Swansea Hospital where they operated, removing the shrapnel. He was given a home posting, after his recovery, as a successful recruiting Sergeant in his native Wales.

On the postcard, you can see he's wearing his RHS lifesaving medal  on his right breast.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 08 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Oystermouth Cemetery, Swansea.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 March 08 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Neil & Bevbee,

Thank you both for the information you found.

I think I will offer the post-card to Swansea archives since it is the nearest to me unless I can find William Charles Fuller's family.

Thanks again both.
Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Richards in Breconshire

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 March 08 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I've been given a copy of a Swansea Battalion dinner menu card that is signed by Sgt. Fuller (as a guest).

That will be on my site soon as part of the forthcoming 'JS Strange Collection' - JSS attended the dinner and kept the card (signed by over 70 people).

Would you mind if I added a copy of this photo to the site in due course? If yes, who should I credit?

On the card itself - yes, the Swansea Archive Office is a good place to deposit it.

Bernard

http://swanseabattalion.net/
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 March 08 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

I have checked with the owner of the photo and he is willing for you to add a copy to your site.

I will PM you the details of who to credit it to.

Regards
Fisherman
Richards in Breconshire