Author Topic: Irish in Cardiff  (Read 22258 times)

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Irish in Cardiff
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi lillylaces :),
Darney and Lyons are in my tree so I reckon they are the same as yours.  It's a shame about the lack of info for Kilcolta/Templebreddy.  My cousins and I are both  trying to find them there but keep hitting a brick wall (apart from the Griffith Valuation info but we cannot be sure he is our Bartholomew!).  I suppose when I have the time to fully concentrate on that branch i will venture to Cork and do a little digging.  How far have you got with the Lyons side?  the Darneys are my particular area of interest, we could swap info if you like, many thanks :)
Darney/Lyons (Cardiff, South Wales/ Cork, Ireland/France)
Shaw/Helme/Titterington (Lancashire, England)
Parry/Lewis (South Wales, UK)
Bell/Moore/Dawson/Collins (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline lilylaces

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 September 08 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Pippylong! That's great news you have Lyons too  :) I haven't really got anywhere with them though. I know Ann Lyons' father was called Timothy but I've no idea where in Ireland they came from.  I found a Timothy and Catherine Lyons in Radyr on the  1871 Wales census but I can't be sure they are Ann Lyons parents.
I know what you mean about the Griffiths Valuation - I was so excited when I saw Bartholomew Darney! but as you say we've no proof he's the right one.

I have my most of my tree on GenesReunited and Ancestry UK. It would be really nice to swap info.
Darney in Cork, later in Wales. Harry in Carmarthen. Lyons in Cardiff and Ireland (Cork?), Smith, Carpenter in Southampton (Dibden and Beaulieu). Brown, Barnes in Bransgore, Ringwood, Southampton. Bull in Boldre. Wort in Downton, Wiltshire. Shaw, Titterington in Lancaster. Wake, Ferguson in Sunderland.

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 September 08 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilylaces,

Thank you I will check out those sites for your tree.  You might like to look at the ancestry message board 'Darney' there has been a very interesting reply to a message I posted!  :o

take care,

Pip
Darney/Lyons (Cardiff, South Wales/ Cork, Ireland/France)
Shaw/Helme/Titterington (Lancashire, England)
Parry/Lewis (South Wales, UK)
Bell/Moore/Dawson/Collins (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline lilylaces

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 September 08 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pip!

Gosh - The Darney Stone!  :D I'd love to see that.
Darney in Cork, later in Wales. Harry in Carmarthen. Lyons in Cardiff and Ireland (Cork?), Smith, Carpenter in Southampton (Dibden and Beaulieu). Brown, Barnes in Bransgore, Ringwood, Southampton. Bull in Boldre. Wort in Downton, Wiltshire. Shaw, Titterington in Lancaster. Wake, Ferguson in Sunderland.

Offline Scrumhalf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 September 08 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Solstice dreamer  re your Swansea connections I am looking for more info on John age 34, Michael 18 and Daniel 15 Sullivan  of Grove st Swansea in the 1861 census listed as Marine dealers.
Are they in your f/tree . I have family connections in Port Talbot area Eugene Sullivan  Can you help? Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 October 08 11:20 BST (UK) »
Just an update to my original post with information I found last night (and am still following up these leads):
James Driscoll (c1825 Ireland-?) m.(1867 Cardiff, Wales) Mary Keefe (c1829 Ireland-?). Known children:
1. Johanna/Anne O'Driscoll (1851 Cardiff-1933 N.Y.) m. Michael McCoy.
2. Timothy (c1854 Cardiff) m. Hester Brown (she went to U.S.1912 with son Daniel but husband Timothy was still alive. Hester was still there in 1920). Daughters Agnes, Annie and Lizzie also went to U.S.- Connecticut. 1910 Lizzie living with sister Agnes and family. When Lizzie arrived in U.S. in 1905 she was going to her aunt Mrs. Jones. Mrs. Jones was Mary E. Jones who is possibly the Mary Driscoll (born c1861) below. 3. Ellen/Nellie Driscoll (1859 Cardiff-1914 Connecticut) m. George Clifford.
4. Mary Driscoll (c1861 Cardiff).
5. Daniel J. Driscoll (1865 Cardiff-1945 Connecticut) m. Esther Martell.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dools1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 November 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
my Irish ancesters came over in three waves. The Donovan during the famine (from Skibbereen) then the more skilled (stonemasons) Dooleys during 1860 &1870 and finally the Connors (really O'Conners) during the 1870s via the army and India. They lived in Irish communities and married other Irish families for several generations.
I am most interested in my Dooley ancesters as we are relatively rare in Wales. I think they came from Waterford but this may just be a family rumour. My Ggrandfather Richard came over to join his brother Philip (who then disappears with his entire family ...did they emigrate?). Richard stayed on living in Cardiff, Dowlais and then all over Glamorgan (as he looked for work) The only thing I know is that their father was called John and he too was a stonemason

Offline solsticedreamer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 January 09 10:16 GMT (UK) »
scrumhalf~sorry about the huge delay here!

i have lots of Flavins and Sullivans in my tree all around the Swansea area; some with dead ends, but i do have a John, Michael and 'Darl' listed.
I am at the end of a huge essay right now and then going away for a week (recuperation!) but when i get back i will have lots of time to play with my family tree...please e-mail me at
(*)

and we can hopefully find any missing links!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Ireland/South Wales~Sullivan, Flahavan/Flavin, Gaul
Portsea~Hawkins, Duke, Fletcher, Chandler
Whiteparish/Downton, Wiltshire~Betteridge, Edsall,Lovedee
Quebec, County Durham~Williams, Wilson
Scotland/Northumberland~Rennie. Turnbull, Armstrong, Graham, Lillie, Chrissop

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 11 January 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
hi
 i too have irish ancestors in cardiff area from 1850's
they were the dempsey's my grandfather and gr grandfather were dock policemen
don't know where in ireland they originated from my grandfather was james patrick
dempsey b 1895 his father was william b 1860
i can go back to 1861 census for wales and for john dimsey and wife mary it just has
ireland' as place of birth
they arrived around 1853
my maternal grandmother was mary o'brien b 1896 d 1946 apart from this i know
nothing else about her i have ordered their marriage cert in the hopes this gives me
more information about her
main areas of focus in cardiff is sully canton and splott
my mother was born in cardiff 1931 and her mother died when she was 14 and was sent to
live with her sister her father didn't stay around!
my mother died in 1985 so i have no one i can ask about my cardiff/ irish family
if these people sound familiar to you please contact me
berni
O'Shea. Tailors of Caherciveen. Co Kerry Eire.
Dempsey. Bute dock police. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.
Cadden. Granard, Co Longford, Eire.
O'Brien. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.