Author Topic: ROSEBERRY, Athelstaneford  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
ROSEBERRY, Athelstaneford
« on: Thursday 13 March 08 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

I'm looking to confirm the baptism of Peter ROSEBERRY in 1783 in Athelstaneford and his sister Jane in 1785 - parents Matthew Roseberry and Jane ?  Other probably siblings are Thomas 1780, James 1785 and John ?

Peter and Janes childrens baptism records nicely shows where the parents came from i.e. Athelstaneford.  By early 1800 the family is in Sunderland, Co. Durham.

Both Peter, James and father Matthew were stonemasons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Linda

Offline lara.j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROSEBERRY, Athelstaneford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,
I have just started researching this family this week in connection with my sister-in-law's family tree. She is descended from Thomas ROSEBERRY and Bridget SALMON. I believe the reason that this family has been proving so difficult to find is that they changed their family name when they moved south the the Sunderland area, or perhaps before this. Take a look at the following..........

[from Athelstaneford OPR East Lothian]
Matthew Horseburgh and Janet Goodale his Spouse had a Child born Augst. 22d and Bap. 30th Called Alexr. Witt: Will Cairns & Geo Snaith

Matthew Horsburgh Masson in Athelstaneford and Janet Goodale his Spouse had a Son born 29th April bapd. 6th May named Thomas. Geo. Snaith & Will Cairns wit.

Peter son to Mathew Horsburgh and Janet Goodale his Spouse was born Novr. 7th and Baptized Do.[ditto] 17th Robt. Crawford and David Stewart Witnesses

James son to Matthew Horseburgh and Janet Goodale his Spouse was born Janry. 6th and baptized Do.[ditto] 12th Robt. Crawford & Geo. Snaith Witnesses

[from Innerwick OPR East Lothian]
Thurston Mains 5th Novr.
Matthew Horseburgh Mason there and Janet Goodal his wife had a daughter baptized (born 28th ult.) her name Janet
Witnesses [blank]

This is definitely the right family. The names are right (forenames anyway!) and the dates of birth are right. The fact that Janet became Jane is probably simply because in Scotland (certainly in my family anyway!) Jane, Janet, Jean and Jessie were pretty much interchangeable.
The surname change is slightly more puzzling! Perhaps they just liked the sound of Roseberry better!

In view of the above I think the following IGI entries may be relevant......

Janet GOODLE baptised 28th Oct 1753 Garvald, East Lothian to Alexander GOODLE and Janet DICKSON
[There are other children in the same parish to this couple.]

Mathew HORSBRUG born 5th Nov 1750, baptised 11 Nov 1750 to Thomas HORSBRUG and Hellen CATLEUGH.

This last is a submitted entry but a check in the OPR index at Scotland's People shows the same event (without the birth date).
This couple also seem to have had:
Mary 1743 at Dirleton, East Lothian
Marion 1745 at Dirleton
Janet 1746 at Dirleton
Walter 1748 at Dirleton
[Mathew fits in here]
John 1752 at Haddington
George 1754 at Dirleton
Alison 1756 at Dirleton

Marion HORSBURGH is noted in another submitted entry as marrying a William Cairns - which is interesting given that a Will Cairns appears as witness at the baptisms of two of Matthew Horsburgh's children. Also, the baptism of a daughter of William Cairns and Marion Horsburgh appears straight after the entry for Alexander Horsburgh, the son of Matthew and Janet, in the Athelstaneford registers.

Opens up a whole new line of investigation anyway.
I am going for a cup of tea now!

Lara

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Lara, Lara - I'm astounded!  I have a second cousin in Australia and a gentleman with a distant interest in the family in Denmark all researching this family. We all started with Thomas and Bridget in Sunderland and have accumulated a large family tree from there, but recently have been trying to go backwards - and up you popped!

I would be extremely interested in who your sister in law is and which child of Thomas and Bridget's she comes from.  I will send you a personal email.

Offline lara.j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
Here are the years for those baptisms - which in my excitement I forgot to mention!!  :-[  Thanks for pointing that out though. Pretty useless otherwise!

Alexander 1778
Thomas 1780
Peter 1782
James 1785
Janet 1787

Sorry about that!
Lara

Offline Flowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 22 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi what a lot of information re Horseburgh/Rosebery.   I am connected to Horseburgh being a great-great-grand-daughter of Thomas Horseburgh and Helen Cateleugh.   As I live in South Australia wondered who the Australian connection might be

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 22 13:47 BST (UK) »
Good morning- I haven’t looked at this line for many years, but do have a comprehensive tree. Let me dig everything out in the next few days and I will get back to you.  I will send you a PM.

Linda