Author Topic: where did Rosannah Atkin come from...  (Read 6178 times)

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where did Rosannah Atkin come from...
« on: Friday 14 March 08 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where my ancestor Rosannah Atkin came from.

In the 1861 census she is married to James Crook and living in 'Little Ireland' in Manchester. Back to the 1851 census - she is single and a servant to three elderly sisters in Radcliffe - surnames, Rothwell. This fits with other research.

But in the 1841 census, the only trace I can find is a Rosannah Atkin aged 12  (no other Atkins mentioned) in Pilkington Workhouse (in the Bury area), and working as a winder ( cotton mill?).  Is this my Rosannah and where did she come to the workhouse from??  Her marriage record says her father was William Atkins - a Crofter.

If anyone thinks their research is connected to this family and can throw some light on her story, I would so like to hear from you....fingers crossed.

I'm really stuck on this one and not sure where to look next.. ???
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: where did Rosannah Atkin come from...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 March 08 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

According to the 1861 census, Rosannah was b 1829/30 in Pilkington which ties up with the 12 year old in the Pilkington workhouse in 1841 so I think you have the correct entry

Why she was there etc - probably her parents died

I searched on any other Atkin/s within Prestwich cum Oldham in case any siblings were also in the workhouse with her but no results found
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 March 08 01:41 GMT (UK) »
There is this entry on the IGI at www.familysearch.org

Rosanna Atkins  Birth:  21 APR 1829   

Christening:  09 AUG 1829   Prestwich

Father:  William Atkins    Mother:  Esther Atkins 

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 March 08 01:46 GMT (UK) »
And also these 2

Sarah Adkin  Birth:  08 SEP 1827   

Christening:  14 OCT 1827   Prestwich
Father:  William Adkin    Mother:  Esther Adkin

Elizabeth Adkin  Birth:  08 JAN 1832   

Christening:  20 MAY 1832   Prestwich
Father:  William Adkin   Mother:  Esther Adkin 

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 08 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

WHile the 1861 does say Rosannah  was born in Pilkington....

The 1851 Census you believe is her,  has her as Rosannah ACKEN  in Pilkington, but says born Radcliffe abt 1830..

The 1871 and 1881 for Rosannah (by now a widow) also says b Radcliffe.

Might be a long shot - but I found this Sarah in 1841 who might be the possible sister:

1841: Town of Pilkington, Prestwich cum Oldham, Lancashire
Address: Besses (looks like Bepes - written with old style double s)
//
Ann DAVENPORT 25 - Hoale?? Knitter - Y
Sarah ATKIN 14 - Hoale?? Knitter - Y
//
Sarah DAVENPORT 19 - Baker - Y
Harriet DAVENPORT 16 - Winder - Y
Harriet BRADSHAW 50 - Baker - Y
//
HO107 /  Piece 548 -  Book: 6 /  Folio: 19/ Pg 31

Interestingly, above Ann DAVENPORT is listed:

//
Easther DAWSON 25 - Winder - Y
Betty DAWSON 10 - Y
Ann DAWSON 60 - Y
/
Samuel FLETCHER 60 - Y
Samuel FLETCHER 30 - Y
//

What were the names of the witness' when Rosannah married James CROOK(S)?

In 1851, Harriet BRADSHAW is enumerated in Radcliffe at Water Lane, with her unmarried  DAVENPORT daughters: Sarah 28, Harriet 26 amd Esther 24, plus her brother David SMITH 53.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 March 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hope I am replying in the correct way, as a newcomer I've got to get the hang of this.

WOW,  what an amazing response to my post. Thank you Carole W and thank you Ambly. Don't know what you have to do to get all those gold stars under your names but you deserve every one of them.  :) :)

The place of birth can be a problem - a large group of my family history centres on Radcliffe and the surrounding area. I guess there have been frequent Boundary changes over the years and I get quite a bit of interaction between Pilkington, Stand and Radcliffe so have got in the habit of checking very carefully all other information I can glean. You do need to enyoy a puzzle and a challenge to do this don't you. Must be the Miss Marple in me  ;)

The entry Rosanna ACKEN threw me a bit but on checking the census page it does look like a transcription error - but I will want to try to find out more before I totally accept it is my Rosannah.

I received her marriage record today - not terribly enlightening as in 1852 there was not much recorded at the marriage was there. But it does not say her father was deceased, (but not sure if they would have then).

But - absolutley wonderful result  - you have given me lots to work on. Got to get of to work now and my daughter's school concert to-night - so a long, late night of research and checking ahead for me   :)

Thank you both again.

Angela. 
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline saintdave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 March 08 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Angela,
I am not too sure about this one, but having looked through the Lancashire OPC, I found the following;

Baptisms: 9 Aug 1829 St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
Rosanna Atkins - Daughter of William Atkins & Esther
    Born: 21 Apr 1829
    Abode: Whitefield
    Baptised by: Philip Wharton
    Register: Baptisms 1828 - 1834, Page 34, Entry 265
    Source: LDS Film 2356182

and then....
Marriage: 24 May 1852 All Saints, Stand, Lancashire, England
James Crook - (X), full age Carter Bachelor of Stand Lane
Rosannah Atkin - (X), full age Servant Spinster of Sand Lane
    Groom's Father: Robert Crook, Labourer
    Bride's Father: William Atkin, Crofter
    Witness: Thomas Cranshaw; John Howcroft
    Married by Banns by: Thos. Corser, Rector of Stand
    Register: Marriages 1837-1853, Page 200, Entry 399

Could this be who you are looking for? This ties in with other postings here.
Just like yourself, I hope this is the right way to reply as I am rather new to all this.

Hope this helps

Dave

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 March 08 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your information. It looks good to me and ties in nicely with what  ' Ambly' discovered.
The difference in occupations for William Atkin ..i.e. weaver then Crofter is, I suspect not unusual. Whilst some carried the same occupation their entire lives, I have found others in my tree who, while everything else checks out perfectly, clearly worked at whatever was available and sometimes I suspect, working more than one job.

James crook's father I think is such a one..I was concerned at first if I had the correct person..James says on his marriage certificate his father was a Labour (very general term, could cover a multitude of things) I am now sure I have the history of the correct Robert Crook though he started out, and for most of his working life, appears on the census as a 'hand loom weaver' then later in life became Farm Bailiff - living in a farming community I suspect most of his life he had done something of both.

You have also answered 'Ambly's question for me as I forgot...about The witnesses at James and Rosanna's wedding. namely Thomas Cranshaw and John Hocwroft.

Thank you for your help...off now to do more digging...by the way, what is Lancashire OPC ?  I'm trying to learn lwhere all these sources come from.  :)

Offline saintdave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 March 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
great to hear that I have actually managed to help someone  ;D

Lancashire OPC (Online Parish Clerk) is a website. I have used it to find a number of my family members and it is always being updated - one day it will be really really helpful, roll on.

The main search page can be found at
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Hope this helps....

Dave