Author Topic: BRAZIER/BRASIER Swanscombe or Greenhithe  (Read 3785 times)

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
BRAZIER/BRASIER Swanscombe or Greenhithe
« on: Saturday 15 March 08 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking to make contact with anyone looking for the surname BRAZIER or BRASIER in this area of Kent.  My ancestor Harriet BRAZIER married George DURLING in Swanscombe.  She was born in the 1790s in Swanscombe.  Sadly the parish records are water-damaged so I cannot find her baptism.  A Richard and Sarah BRAZIER are baptising children in the timeframe and a William and Sarah.  Richard and William might well turn out to be brothers but I would like to confirm which is my Harriet's father.  I wonder if there are any others with BRAZIER connections out there?

Regards

Scurlockgirl

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRAZIER/BRASIER Swanscombe or Greenhithe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 March 08 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought but have you tried the Stone parish registers for Harriet Brazier? Many people seemed to flit between Swanscombe and Stone for the usual events.

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 March 08 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Yes, thanks for your suggestion - I have tried Stone, Wilmington, Southfleet, Ash etc and I am still gradually moving outwards around the parishes.  I feel sure my Harriet is on a damaged part of the register at Swanscombe.  There are certainly illegible people there and at least one BRAZIER.  What I really need are the BTs provided this timeframe is available of course.

All the best

Scurlockgirl

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 08 09:58 GMT (UK) »
If it wasn't at Stone, it was probably Swanscombe. I've got an idea that Greenhithe (before it became a parish) was officially in Swanscombe but that Stone church was closer!

The BTs are at the Centre for Kentish Studies but if the Mormons' Family History Catalogue is to be believed there is a gap in the baptisms between 1783 and 1805.

All in all it doesn't look good.

I take it you've tried the Colyer-Fergusson transcript?

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 08 10:20 GMT (UK) »
No can you tell me about the Colyer-Fergusson transcript?  A contact has looked at transcripts she has but I don't know if this is the same one.

Thanks

Scurlockgirl

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 March 08 11:41 GMT (UK) »
This is the catalogue entry for the Society of Genealogists' library:

Author:    Colyer-Fergusson, Thomas Colyer (trans.) 
  Title Statement:    SWANSCOMBE : CMB 1559-1812 [Manuscript.] 
  Published:    1944 
  Description:    Index (Pink cloth) 
  Subject:    KENT - REGISTERS 
  Subject:    Swanscombe, Kent 
  General Note:    Copied from a transcript by W E Parker & indexed by O G Knapp 
  General Note:    Transcript of original register. 
  Call Number:    KE/R 39 

Thomas Colyer-Fergusson of Ightam Mote was a noted amateur archeologist and genealogist who transcribed dozens of Kent parish registers.

I understand that there is also a transcript in the Riverside series but I don't know anything about that. I'm afraid I've no idea what your friend has access to.

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 March 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know.  I fear that if these are transcripts of the original registers I won't find my Harriet because the original registers are so damaged by damp.  Oh well, it looks like it's BTs or nothing.  Must get myself down to Kent at some point.

Cheers

Offline BrendaP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is the first time for ages that I've been onto Rootschat - but I came across the thread with a Google search!

I'm scurlockgirl's contact who has been looking at Swanscombe fiche.
I've got two sets - both Kent FHS published.  The 1559-1812 set are Colyer-Fergusson transcriptions, the second set is just 1750-1862 by Rob Cottrell; these are indexed by surname so it was easy to pick out all the BRAZIER/BRASIER entries.

I was looking at Google because you'd asked/commented about how the registers got so damaged.  According to Wickipedia:
"The flint-built parish church of St Peter and Saint Paul, partially Saxon, had a spire on its tower until 1902, when the church was struck by lightning causing extensive damage."
I guess they used lots of water to put out the fire caused by the lightening.  :(  :'(
Bowles - Kent (weald)
Roots/Rootes - Kent
Munn - Kent
Lovel/Lovell - Kent & Middlesex
Holdaway - Kent
Cuphis - Kent
Christopher/Cristofer - Kent
Couchman - Kent
Fairall/Fairhall - Kent
Read/Reed - Kent
Young - Kent
Rumbold - Hants
Bevis/Beavis - Hants
Scragg - Middlesex
Leather - Middlesex
Escott - Somerset
Turvey - Worcs
Wheeler - Worcs
Sleator/Sleater - Sligo Ireland

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there BrendaP

Amazing the Google search brought up my correspondence on this topic at Rootschat.  Hopefully you will have received my direct email to you.  I sent a similar thread to Rootschat and the KFHS at the same time.

Take care