Author Topic: JAMES WARD/JANE MCNEIL MARRIED C1819  (Read 1417 times)

Offline DelvaP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JAMES WARD/JANE MCNEIL MARRIED C1819
« on: Saturday 15 March 08 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if someone could help me please.
I am looking for info on my g-g-g-grandfather and mother.  I have NO IDEA where they came from in Ireland.
They must have been married before 1820 as they were married when they set sail for South Africa on 12/2/1820.
Somewhere I got that he was born in 1802 don't know if this is so.
They set sail from Cork, although they are not listed on the lists that I have checked.  Two vessels loaded Irish emigrants namely, Fanny and East India.  I believe what could have happened is that they took the place of another family at the last minute.  I am completely in the dark here.   I did a search on another site and they informed that the surname Ward and McNeil could be from Co. Down.  Is there anyone here who could help?

Many thanks in advance.
Delva
Bloemfontein
South Africa
Palmer(Hampshire) Norman (Dorset) Jones (Wales) Howgego (Essex) Rhodes(Yorkshire) McLuckie (Stirling, Scotland) Ward (Ireland)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES WARD/JANE MCNEIL MARRIED C1819
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 08 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how much you can assume Co. Down just from the two surnames (that usually only works when both names are very rare). To get information on the families in Ireland will be very difficult without knowing where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just a county or possible county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!