Author Topic: Jack family in Avoch  (Read 11671 times)

Offline heathpete

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Jack family in Avoch
« on: Thursday 20 March 08 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my father's { Vincent Jack born 6/08/1933} family.I don't have much information to chase.His Mother was Margaret Jack{she later became Margaret England}.Dad was raised by his Grandmother Annie Cowie { her Husband was David Jack}.They lived on Factory Lane, I think, in Avoch.I don't know many of Dad's Uncles names but the ones I do know are David , Bill , and Donald.Dad had two half brothers; James Jack and Michael England.If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.
                                          Heather Jack
                                          Sydney Australia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jack family in Avoch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 08 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I can't help you with with details outside of what is available on line for searches unfortunately.  Hopefully someone may recognise the names from their own family lines.

In respect of what is available on line, this looks a possible entry for your father's grandparents' marriage:

1898   JACK   DAVID   COWIE   ANNIE   MACDUFF   /BANFF   155/A2 0019

There is also this entry on the 1901 census that might relate to them:

David Jack 29, fisherman, b. Avoch
Ann Jack 27, b. Peterhead Aberdeenshire
Margaret Jack    11 mo, b. Avoch

Address: 26 High Street, Avoch

The marriage cert which is available to view and download on Scotlands People (pay to view but v. reasonable) will confirm the names of David and Annie's parents. There are two possible entries on IGI at family search which could relate to their births:

DAVID JACK  Birth:  14 SEP 1871  Avoch, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
Parents:DAVID JACK and MARGARET JACK

ANN COWIE  Birth:  27 JUL 1874  Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
Parents:ALEXANDER COWIE and JANE MORRISON

Regards.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heathpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 March 08 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica,
         Thank you very much for this information. It is greatly appreciated.This could fit ,  as I had been told previously , that Annie came from Buckie and then had moved to Macduff. Does that sound right ? I don't know Avoch or surrounding areas very well. I'm new to all this and have spent quite a few hours on the computer trying to get information with no luck. Could you tell me which is the best way to view David and Annie's marriage certificate; which is the best web site ?
          Thank you very much for your time. Have a great weekend.
                                                    Heather Jack

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 March 08 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

I'm going to list below a number of sites and also some guides here on RootsChat to help you get your bearings:

If you haven't researched in Scotland before, there are some useful guides here on RootsChat:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,193879.0.html

The official site for BMD certificates and census images is Scotlands People. You can search and view the images on line. It's pay to view but very reasonable. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

At Family Search you have the IGI www.familysearch.org

To help you get your bearings in terms of counties and parishes:

www.scotlandsfamily.com/county-map.htm
www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-maps.htm

Regards.

Monica  :)

Offline heathpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 March 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
  Hello Monica,
           Thank you very much for all your advice. I appreciate all your help. I shall look into all of these sites.
                                              Heather         

Offline rossjackson1985

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 March 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
hello! Vincent jack was concieved and born out of wedlock, he was brought up by his grandmother, vincents mother and one of her sisters moved to australia in the 1930's, one went to melbourne, the other to sydney. Vincent moved out to australia in the 1950's-1960's.

i am Donald Jack's Grandson, Ross. Donald was the youngest child of his mother (not counting vincent as he was the grand child). Donald Jack married Bridget Donaghue (originally from a small village outside the Curragh neat Dublin, Ireland). They met in london as my grandmother was a ren in the RAF and my Grandad donald was in the Navy in the second world war. They met in one of those military bars etc.

Anyway, Donald and Bridget (Also known as Betty) were parents to: David, Stephen and Elaine. David never married, Stephen marriedbut never had children and Elaine hadtwo Children..Myself (Ross Donald Jackson) and my Sister Beth Josephine Jackson. We currently live in Reading which is a big town just outside of london. Beth has an 18th month old son named Joseph Keneh and i have a 6 monthold daughter named Emily Rose.

I hope this helped fill in the gaps some what on one part of the family.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 March 09 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ross

Welcome to RootsChat  :) Hopefully you and Heather can compare notes.

If I can give you some advice on posts here on RC. It is RC policy not to have posts which include details of living people for reasons of confidentiality etc. If you look at your post, you will see a button on the r/h top corner 'modify'. If you click on that you can makes changes to your post. Once you are done, just save changes.

Once you have made three posts here on RC you can use the Private Messages (PMs) service which is a safe way to exchange personal emails and other personal infomation. You just need to have posted at least 3 messages on the main forums to be able to do PMs so just post a couple more hellos on this thread and that's you ready  :)

Monica

Offline heathpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ross,
        We met here in Australia shortly after Dad's death. Hope you are all well. It was a nice surprise reading your message. Hi to all. If you want further family history let me know. I don't have much information on Annie Cowie's side but quite a bit on the Jack side.
                        Heather Jack- one of Vincent's daughters

Offline heathpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 March 09 03:39 GMT (UK) »
"hello! Vincent jack was conceived and born out of wedlock, he was brought up by his grandmother, Vincent's mother and one of her sisters moved to Australia in the 1930's, one went to Melbourne, the other to Sydney. Vincent moved out to Australia in the 1950's-1960's."
       Ross, I have quoted what you wrote.  Vincent's mother didn't come to Australia, it was his Aunt Jean who moved to Melbourne with her husband Bill. Dad { Vincent } moved to Sydney in 1961.
                                     Heather