Author Topic: Grove Street Glasgow 1875  (Read 17722 times)

Offline jackie72

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grove Street Glasgow 1875
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 February 12 17:39 GMT (UK) »
My grandad was born at 41 grove street in 1914 , and my grt granny died in 1951 and she lived at number 55 .

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 February 12 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Scottish Post Office Directories - on line

http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office

Searchable PDF files

regards

Offline Tatty5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 February 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the link.  Most useful

T
Jackson - Lanarkshire;  Dumfrieshire; Peebleshire; Gibson - Lanarkshire; Somerville - Lanarkshire; Ramage - Lanarkshire

Offline AprileCarrey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 February 12 21:30 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was born at 22 Grove Street, Glasgow

Offline jkhansen20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 12 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tatty5.

Can't really help out with info, but just wanted to share.

I am researching a couple of ancestors which lived in that street also.
One relative and her husband (Ann and James Boyd) lived at 35 Grove Street. Both of them also died of tuberculosis. Ann died in 1875, and James in 1878.
So it would be highly likely that they knew each other (our ancestors that is).
Her brother (John McLeish) lived a couple of houses up at 29 Grove Street. He also died in 1878 of tuberculosis.

Sounds like there was a bit of it going around at the time.

I am also on the hunt for some photos or pictures. I would love to see what the area was like in those days

Regards.
JKH

Offline Tatty5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 February 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear JKH

Thanks for your note. I would also love to have pix of the street at that time. The interesting thing for me is that my family member was a young orphan when she died. Her mother had already died of tuberculosis some years earlier and her father, described when he married as a grocer, had disappeared with no record (although there were reports of a man with the same name having drowned in the Clyde at the 'right' time - but what are the chances that he is the same man?!).   So the question for me was how my family member was surviving, who was she living with at the time since all other immediate family members were in South Lanarkshire.  Maybe your ancestors were there for her!  It would be nice to think so......

Best wishes
Tatty5
Jackson - Lanarkshire;  Dumfrieshire; Peebleshire; Gibson - Lanarkshire; Somerville - Lanarkshire; Ramage - Lanarkshire

Offline jkhansen20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 February 12 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tatty5.

Just a thought - you may have already looked into this, but I was wondering - if you could manage to get hold of the census sheet for that street in 1871, this may tell you the names of the people living at number 36 in 1871. Its possible that your orphan was sent to them after her parents died.
Its a bit of a long shot as the people living there in 1871 may not be the same people living there is '75, but I guess if the names are familiar to you (eg an Uncle or Grandparent), it would probably be a safe bet.

Only thing is, that I haven't actually seen any Scottish census forms (I am getting my Scottish census info from a site which just shows the transcript, not the actual form), I know with the English Census forms, that they show details of the whole street (or as much of one that can fit on one form). Not sure if the Scottish census forms are the same.

I think you can get the actual Scottish Census details from ScotlandsPeople for a fee.

If you want, I can give you the details of my ancestors which lived at 35. This should allow you to look up the street form, and you can go from there.

Regards
JKH

Offline lynn_p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandmother c1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
3 generations of my family lived at 41 Grove Street around 1869 - 1899.  Weirdly though, during that period, one of them is also listed as living at 41 BURNSIDE Street - does anyone know if these were the same street - renamed briefly?

Re your orphan ancestor - I discovered a family of 3 children living with no parents (mother dead / father left for Melbourne) around 1864 and they were looked after by a neighbour for a while.  A well-meaning member of the public applied for Poor Relief for them and they were whipped off to the local orphanages despite their neighbour being devoted to them - Check the Poor Relief Applications at the Mitchell Library, Glasgow - there's a wealth of information there.
Fife/ Clacks/ Stirling/Perth: Paterson, Forgie, Pitcairn, Moncrieff, Bruce
Lanark: Bogan, Clark, Morrison
Dumfries & Galloway: Bell, Bethune
http://paterson.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=lynnpat11

Offline lynn_p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandmother c1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Tatty, just further to this, .. aged 17 your ancestor was probably not considered a child - she could have been working for a while already and may have left her childhood home for work, lodging in Cowcaddens.  The Cowcaddens area was home to a few power loom factories and many women were employed as power loom weavers.  One picture in the Mitchell archive describes the tenements in the area as "slums" (albeit they probably were by the time the photo was taken in 1925).

Pics of 41 Burnside Street:
http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=street&s=gallery&key=rYToxOntpOjA7czoxMToiQnVybnNpZGUgU3QiO30=

Check the census for that address in 1871 - were lodgers living there?
Fife/ Clacks/ Stirling/Perth: Paterson, Forgie, Pitcairn, Moncrieff, Bruce
Lanark: Bogan, Clark, Morrison
Dumfries & Galloway: Bell, Bethune
http://paterson.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=lynnpat11