Author Topic: 1851 Census for Edwards in Stockport area  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1851 Census for Edwards in Stockport area
« on: Thursday 13 January 05 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Lookup request for Margaret Edwards and family believed to be a servant at Marple Hall near Stockport also possibly there in 1841. All details of those at the Hall would be appreciated if indeed she is there.

Regards, Al in Vane

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census for Edwards in Stockport area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 05 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
     There are no Edwards working at the Hall in 1841,however there is a family of Edwards including a Margaret as below

1841 HO107-112-2-Page 26 11 Canal Buildings Marple

John Edwards 35  Innkeeper         born out of county
Margaret ~     40                                      ~   ~   ~
John        ~     15                                    in county
Thomas   ~     10                                    ~  ~
John        ~     60                                    out of county
Sarah Jones    15 female servant              ~  ~  ~
Ann Aindow     9                                        ~   ~  ~
Thomas Marshall 12 male servant          in county

In 1851 the above family seems to have moved on, there is an Edwards working at the Hall, a Matilda 24 ladies maid Born North Wale Newton ?

HO107-2154-F17 Marple Hall

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census for Edwards in Stockport area
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 05 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter, Thanks for the info. which I feel is the right family as the age of Margaret is about right and also her son Thomas. (she was born in Staffs so 'out of county' is correct. She came to the Bedworth area with one of  the Isherwoods who lived at Marple Hall and is described as servant when as a widow she married my Grandfather x5 at Bedworth Warwickshire. Her son came with her.
many thanks for your help which has thrown tremendous light on this aspect of my research.
Many Thanks, Al in Vane