Author Topic: Thornbury Park  (Read 2002 times)

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thornbury Park
« on: Friday 21 March 08 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me solve a mystery.  My partners grandfather was Henry Augustus Newman, born 1840 in Bristol.  I sent for the Birth Certificate and his father is shown as Henry Wenman Newman occupation Gentleman. His mother is Sarah Newman formerly Parker.  In the 1841 census Henry Junior is living with his mother and grandmother and they are Sarah Parker and Ann Parker.  I have done a search for Henry Wenman Newman and it appears he lived at Thornbury Park and was a wealthy man and also had been Mayor of Bristol.  There is no mention of a Sarah Parker and I assume that Henry Augustus was illigitimate.  In 1851 the family has another addition Julia Newman. (Sarah is shown as Parkes) In 1861 they are living in 10 Nine Tree Hill and Henry is shown as Henry Parker.
Did Henry Wenman Newman buy the house for Sarah?  He went on to marry Frances Margaret Goodenough.  I would like to prove that I have got the corrent Henry Wenman Newman as he is a direct decendent from Edward 1 King of England
Many thanks
NEATWHEAT

Offline Lanson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thornbury Park
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 08 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear NEATWHEAT it would appear that we are possibly related my Grandmother was the daughter of Charles Cartwright who was the youngest of the sons born to Elias. Margaret the mother stayed with Charles in Hendre until she was over 77 years of age.
I have obtained copies if the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census records for the Cartwright family and Richard's age appears to vary on each one showing as 2 in 1851, 1 month in 1861 and 5 in 1871.

Any information that you have would be most appreciated.

Offline UKrobert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thornbury Park
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi NEATWHEAT,

I would love to discuss Henry Wenman NEWMAN and Henry Augustus NEWMAN with you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Robert J. Newman
Newman One-Name Study
newman@one-name.org
http://newmanonenamestudy.tribalpages.com/