Author Topic: Sutherlands/Curries from Sutherland  (Read 2574 times)

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sutherlands/Curries from Sutherland
« on: Sunday 23 March 08 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have hit a brick wall regarding my Sutherlands and was hoping someone here might help. I am not familiar with the county as so far this is the only family I have discovered from there.

In 1819 Edinburgh my ancestor Corp. William Currie of the Sutherland Highlanders married an Elizabeth Sutherland of Kirkcaldy parish Fife, daughter of the deceased Donald Sutherland of the Gordon Fencibles.

Now although it says Elizabeth Sutherland was from Kirkcaldy, the Gordon Fencibles and Sutherland Highlanders are regiments that were raised in Sutherland and Argyll, so I know that William Currie and Donald Sutherland are from there.

The Fife parish records that would include Elizabeth's birth have been destroyed, therefore in order to trace the family I am looking for information on her father Donald Sutherland from Sutherland. His wife seems likely to have been from Kirkcaldy, Fife.

This is the couple in 1841 Newtown, Abbotshall, Fife (near Kirkcaldy):
William Currie    62, weaver
Elizabeth Currie 42

William appears to have died before 1851 so I can't find his parents' records, and the witness for Elizabeth Sutherland's death did not know her parents' names!

Although the 1841 census says william was 62, there is an OPR death of a William Currie 22 Nov 1849 in Abbotshall aged 60 which is very likely him.

Can anyone help me find the parents of this couple?

Thanks and regards,

-Tunji

PS: Does anyone what what the E.C. in the attached image means?
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net