Author Topic: Not Sure Where to post  (Read 5417 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Not Sure Where to post
« on: Sunday 23 March 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Published in the Genealogist Australia June 1993
From the deaths Column of Berwick Advertiser July 2nd 1854

"At Melbourne, Victoria, Australia,drowned on the 1st April
last by the upsetting of a boat whilst-in the
execution of his duty as a pilot and attempting to
land the crew and passengers of the brig,Columbine,
wrecked outside the Heads , Captain Matthew Davidson
late of Spittal ,Berwick on Tweed.Deceased left a
widow ans five children to deplore his loss

This has been passed onto me by another relative who is also searching the Davidson Tree can anyone help

I have 2 Matthew Davidsons father and son both from Spittal matthew sen born 1803-1860
Matthew jun 1831-1862

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Not Sure Where to post
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 March 08 23:02 GMT (UK) »
The death of this Mathew Davidson appears to be well documented ... another report similar to that passed to you appeared in the Newcastle Courant newspaper published on Friday 28th July 1854 although this entry gives no mention to the Widow or children.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 March 08 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Falkyrn

He  is most likely of the same family I just wondered where he fits in

Should I enter this into the Australia thread and maybe someone could find out something about the Ship

I have tried an Australian site i have but cannot find the ship never mind Matthew Davidson
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 08 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Either reposting the query on the Australia board or asking a Moderator to move this thread there might yield better results.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 08 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Ive never done anything like this before
I clicked on the moderator but its for abuse
Elizabeth

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 March 08 19:03 GMT (UK) »
There's no problem clicking on "Report to Moderator" and making your request ..... one of its uses is for reporting abuse but it can be used for other things. . The other way is on the Rootschat home page there is a list of users online at that time, the moderators are in red and clicking on their names should allow you to send them a PM (Personal message).

It may be easier overall to simply post a new message in the Emigrants to Australia board and if you wish post a link back to this thread.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 March 08 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank will do so

Elizabeth

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 March 08 19:28 GMT (UK) »
It would seem that there were several ships using the name Columbine during that period.

One of these was HMS Columbine was an 18 gun brig who ended her days as a coal depot ship in the late 1850's.
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/object.cfm?ID=BHC3266
I don't think this would have been the ship concerned as there would have been a bigger fuss made of any difficulties involving a  Naval ship .

There would also appear to have been at least two merchant ships bearing the name, one which plied a trade between Europe and the UK and the second a schooner which went from India to the UK although the reports do not mention the owners of the ships, again neither of these fits as the newspaper report refers to the "Brig" Columbine.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 March 08 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Had a look in there its a lovely painting

I have posted the letter in the Australia thread so will see if they can help me
Thank you again

Falkyrn

Elizabeth