Author Topic: Germany: George Green, pork butcher - COMPLETED  (Read 19942 times)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: George Green, pork butcher
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 August 09 08:03 BST (UK) »
If I may butt in, that would interest me, too. May I send you my e-mail by PM to receive a copy?

My great grandfather, Hermann Pfisterer, was a Pork Butcher from the Hohenlohe region. He shows up first on the 1861 Census in Bradford. He married Margarethe Brueck in Rotherham in 1864. She gave her place of birth as Kocherstetten, B-W.

My grandfather came to Northwich, Cheshire, in 1892 and settled there, as did his cousin, John Heinzmann, a Pork Butcher who ran a shop in Witton Street. I think John Heinzmann was either from Kocherstetten or Morsbach, nearby but have as yet no proof. His brother-in-law, Louis Pfister moved from Bradford to Widnes where he ran a pork butcher's shop for many years. Here, I don't know his birthplace in Germany, but am still searching!!

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 August 09 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Histres,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

If you answer on this topic a couple of times more, then you can use the PM (private message) facility and people can send you their e-mail addresses.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Gruß,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 August 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi SwissGill,

those names and places you mention sound very interesting. They absolutely fit into my research.
Of course you can send me your e-mail by PM. You know, however, that I'm knew in rootschat and therefore I don't know, whether it will work unless I haven't posted three or more answers.

regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 August 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Histres and welcome to Rootschat  :)

I hope you can help each other.  If you post another reply then you should be able to use the PM service.

Happy hunting

Kind regards
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 August 09 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaie,
Thank you for your hint. Any advice from you experienced chatters helps me a lot.

histres

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 August 09 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Histres

Thank you so much for the info. PM following.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Bethgem,

I'm doing some research on German pork butchers and I know the place in Germany well, which George Green came from. I only live a few kilometers away from that village. Your forefather emigrated to England at a time when thousands of people left Germany, many of them going to England and becoming pork butchers there. For further information go on the Internet into Google with the keywords: Cronem Coference,  German butchers. At a Cronem Conference this year at the University of Surrey there was a contribution dealing with German pork butchers, who, in fact originated from a small part in Germany called Hohenlohe, like George Green also did. If you wanted I could deliver you the reasons for emigration, as I have already written an essay on this topic. Find a way how I could contact you.

histres
Hi, and many thanks for that link to Google! I see that I am on there now, via Rootschat of course, so did you put it there?!!  ;) It's ok, I might get some results from it, you never know! PM me anytime, cheerio for now.
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 September 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hallo Bethgem,
I didn't put you and your posts on the Internet. That happens automatically when you communicate on certain topics via rootschat. Only the communication done in personal messages can't be seen online. So I can't be blamed for that.
Did you read the conference paper then? Then you know more about emigration reasons and why it was mostly the Hohenlohe people who went into the pork butcher's trade over there in Britain.
Two days ago I visited the Green family in Hohenberg in the community of Wolpertshausen who still exist and run a farm there. However, they don't have any memory, information, hints or even photos of the once emigrated family member. I gave them all the information that I could collect from the posts on rootschat on a piece of paper, so that they can add it to their family's history.
With kind regards
Histres

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 September 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the story on your researches. I am impressed. Fancy seeing a family called Green there, and giving them all the things on here, I don't know what to say - just many thanks. I have a few other photo images of George Green, and his family and the family tree, so, if the family you visited are really connected to George then I will only be too pleased to send them for them to see. If you can find that out for me then I will get them all together to send to them, via you, of course. I am looking forward to hearing from you on this one.                                     

No, I am not placing any blame for the internet insertion. It was just a conclusion that was made, seeing that your message to me was the top entry so I thought you had done it to get more responses; so all is ok, really,  :)

Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK