Author Topic: Looking for greenhalgh relatives.  (Read 17157 times)

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for greenhalgh relatives.
« on: Wednesday 26 March 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be harder to find more recent members of the Family tree than those further back in time (no recent census material  :( ). Few of my near family are still living and family history information is sketchy. So here comes a  plea from the heart  to anyone out there who may be looking into their family history.....which we possibly share.

I have traced my direct line back a good way. However, to complete the picture, I would like to move sideways to my Great Grandmother's sister's family as the two families were seemingly close. My G.Grandmother was Elizabeth Ellen Emerson (nee Pollitt), married to Abraham Emerson, living at Lord Street Radcliffe and later Blackpool.

Her sister was known by her middle name Hannah - full name Eliza Hannah Pollitt and married a Mr Greenhalgh in 1902. They had several children and lived in Radcliffe (around the Cross St, Water Lane area). I do not know much about the children - who would be my Great Aunts and Uncles (I think), and all born in the Radcliffe area), but of the names I do know ......There was Edna May Greenhalgh b.1908 who married Mr. McCreary - they lived in Blackpool. Wilfred who married Gertrude (Gerti), Elsie, Ethel and others. it was a large family. My mum (very young at the time and now in her 70's) said two of the girls were excellent bakers and sold cakes from a little shop or house - again in the Radcliffe locality.

If these names mean anything to you, or you recognise anything here, I would love to hear from you as it appears to be a big and significant branch missing from my tree. All the Greenhalgh children I refer to would be deceased now and sadly I never met any of them. My family had moved South to Kent and lost touch. I am in Lincolnshire and have difficulty getting time in Lancashire for reasearch, so would love to hear from a long lost Greenhalgh decendant.

I also have info to share, as the Greenhalgh and Emerson lines meet in Thomas and Elizabeth Pollitt (nee Crook) who married in 1879.  Anyone researching Pollitt and Greenhalgh will know how difficut it can be, as the names are so popular in Lancashire.

Thank you with high hopes  :)  Angela.

Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline eyup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for greenhalgh relatives.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 08 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela there is a greenhalgh family in coppull nr chorley. Wouldn't know wether there is a connection. XXX Greenhalgh is a relative of mine she married into the family but that is all I know, she is still alive and is 80.

Moderator comment: name of living person removed to protect their privacy, in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please exchange such info by using the secure Personal Message system

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 08 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Eyup.

Thank you for your response to my message. It is a difficult one as Greenhalgh is such a frequent name in the lancashire area. I am pinning some hopes on the next census release in a couple of years to fill in a lot of gaps. My original search was to trace a deceased but lost relative - I was successful and now my still remaining relatives are thrilled to know what happened and that he was safe and well cared for. (This family tree stuff is not just casual curiosity). It made for a tearful emotional search! To fill in the gaps it would be great to find the Greenhalgh side of the family but unless a surving member of the deceased members I mentioned recognise the relatives and choose to make themselves known, I think 11years of my lost great uncle will always remain a mystery. I had some wonderful turns of fate and information in the search so you never know - I may still be fortunate. But thank you very much for your interest. If you want to show my message to your relative she may recognise something in it and could contact me through the personnel message system.

PS.  Thank you moderator - I fully appreciate the confidentiality issues.

best regards all,
Angela.
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline eyup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 November 08 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Angela,
I know what you mean .I brought two of my wifes relatives together, one of them thought his grandad had died in the first world war and he died in 1987.
Took me two years of research to find that branch of my wifes family. Anyway best of luck, I will show her your info, she married a greenhalgh, I dont think she would know a great deal but one never knows.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi - if you have lost Alice Greenhalgh born 1794 (in Bolton?)who married Mr Buckley (who died) ....then I have her!   She married George Tiplady in 1847 in Manchester.

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Milly, I must confess I haven't got back as far as 1794 on the Greenhalgh line yet. (Had some terrific success with a couple of other lines which have taken over my time for a few months). But thank you - I will keep the information and it may yet fit in as I work my way back.

Many thanks :)

Angela.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I am not connected (as far as I know)  -but there is this death reg
Edna may McCreary
born 30 mar 1908
death reg jun 1999
age 91
Fleetwood & Fylde
FL3F

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzard,

Gosh - everyone on rootschat is so helpful - all these responses coming in.

Yep - this is definately one of mine - the 'aunt' Edna who married a scottish gentleman and moved to Blackpool. Many Many thanks. :)

8)
Angela.

Offline Simply Red

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela, my mother's maiden name was Greenhalgh, full name Alice Greenalgh. Her sisters were Ethel, Annie, Gertie, Elsie, Edna (the baker) and then I think there was Harry, Ronald, Bert, Harold.

I have just started my research into the family and have arrived as far as Elisa Hannah Pollitt (Greenhalgh) who would have been my grandmother and she was married to Samuel Rothwell Greenhalgh.

Hopes this adds some small assistance to your research and I would be interesting in hearing anything from your side concerning the Greenhalgh family.

Cheers, Keith