Author Topic: PULHAM family name  (Read 13907 times)

Offline Daisy Dee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
PULHAM family name
« on: Sunday 04 April 04 11:49 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my grt grandmothers family name PULHAM and have gone to 1480. The family mainly lived in STRADBROKE Suffolk and were Farmers ( some wealthy , some not so ). 2 branches left for America and as the years rolled by my line of Pulhams moved into Essex ( c 1884 ) looking for work.

Suffolk names that married into PULHAM:

Woolnough ( Stradbroke )
Fiske ( Stradbroke)
Forsdyke ( stradbroke )
Rodwell ( Stradbroke)
Goldbold ( Stradbroke)
Preston ( Horham)
Rose ( Horham)
Davy ( Fressingfield)
Newman ( Fressingfield & Stradbroke )

Little is known about them at this stage : )
For every ancestor I find , I have to find two more.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: PULHAM family name
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 04 03:03 BST (UK) »
1861 census Stradbroke RG9/1152 Folio 68 page 1 entry 8

Woodton(Woodham) Green
Charles Pulham 46 farm lab b Stradbroke
Mary wife 40 b stradbroke

Kris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 July 04 03:11 BST (UK) »
1861 census Stradbroke RG9/1152 Folio 87 page 6 entry 31. no street address

Charles Pulham 42 Wheelwright b Stradbroke
Maria Pulham wife 29 b Stradbroke
Charles Pulham 19 son Wheelwright b Stradbroke
Ellen Pulham Dau 9 b Stradbroke
Minie Maria dau 2 b stradbroke

Kris

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 July 04 03:19 BST (UK) »
1861 census Stradbroke
RG9/1152 Folio 99 page 30 entry 154

Newman Letitia 43 head unmarried Char Woman b Stradbroke
Pulham Elizabeth lodger widow 71 b Stradbroke

Kris

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 14:46 BST (UK) »
Daisy Dee
I have a friend by the name of Doug Pulham who tells me that his name originates from the Pulham Market/ Pulham this Pulham that ? area's, then the family moved to London and finally into Essex.
Doug is going to supply me with a limited amount of research his sister has completed (all that they have) as I volunteered to have a look for him.
Once I get the info and have a look at the basics available I would be grateful if I could pick your brains to see if they crossed paths/same family ?

Doug (and I) have a friend whose mother was a Peachey and her several times Grandfather was a Daniel Peachey who married a Ann Pulham in the 1790's at Great Horkesley, Essex
Needless to say I would love to connect them, they would never live it down  ;D ;D ;D
Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Dee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 04 12:22 BST (UK) »
Krisesjoint

A huge big THANKYOU - they are ALL in my tree and part of my family , that was indeed very kind of you : )

Bryant,

Yes please do get in touch if there is some kind of connection , as it was my gg grandpa Samuel Pulham and his brother James who moved out of Stradbroke to ESSEX/ They were orphaned young and looked after by their fathers first wife's brother - guess there was no need to stay in the village that had been the Pulham domain for hundreds of years : )

I'm interested in your BRYANTS too.............did they move into Camberwell from another county? On another branch my gg grandma was Mary Ann Bryant from Sussex ( I have a rather good BRYANT family contact for the name in Sussex )

Much happiness
Debi
For every ancestor I find , I have to find two more.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 04 19:41 BST (UK) »
Daisy Dee (or Debi)  :)

When I get the info on the Pulham's I will be in touch.
The Bryant's is a difficult one! its an Irish name and the Irish seem to have crossed the sea and headed for London, and lots of them landed up in Southwark, Surrey (and I mean lots) around the 1820's/30's. Was it all to do with the leather industry? jobs galore?
It is also open to variants....I have the army records of a Thomas Bryant with page after page of the name BRYANT when he was actually a BRYAN, 12 years of army records and they (or he) couldn't spell his name correctly, on his marriage cert and that of his children the name of BRYAN was recorded.
Did any of your Bryant's reside in Surrey prior to Sussex?
Check out FREEBMD for St Olaves Southwark and Camberwell both in Surrey, it's frightening!
Mary Ann is a nice combination especially in the 19th century, a Mary Ann Bryant married at St Olaves in the Sept qtr of 1843, which probably means nothing, but you didn't say if you had found her marriage?
Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 October 04 22:09 BST (UK) »
Debi
I now have the Pulham info that I was telling you about in an earlier post :- my friend Doug Pulham's family history

His father was
Thomas Henry Charles Pulham b.19th Sept 1904, he married Dorothy Evelyn Disney b. 19th Aug 1905.. they married at St James Holloway on the 24th May 1926.

His grandfather was Thomas Henry Pulham b. 8th Jan 1879 at St Giles/St George, Bloomsbury, he married Annie Elizabeth Fowler b.abt 1880...they married at St James, Islington on the 2nd Aug 1903.

His gr grandfather was Henry Pulham b.3rd Dec 1852 at St Saviours, Surrey (Horse and Groom Yard, Blackfriars Road)

His gr gr grandfather was George Pulham and his mother was Harriet Pulham (formerly Waypole).

This is all info that I have just received from Doug which had been researched by his niece,  I assume that it is all correct.
Doug tells me that the family originated from the Pulham areas, Pulham Market etc

Can you help, does any of this fall into your Pulham family files?
Regards
Bryant

Offline grib

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 10 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Daisy Dee,

From my Revans/Ribbans famiy tree I can add an early Pulham to your records that you may not have.

Anthony Revans, b. 1609 at Dennington, d.1685 at Saxtead, was married to Mary Pulham. He made a will, as a yeoman, at Framlingham in 1649, probate was granted 1 May 1683. marking his death. He left his property to his wife Mary and also mentioned a George Pulham and a grandson Joseph Revans, the son of his son John [b.1678, d.1741]. As a widow, Mary also left a will, at Framlingham, with probate in 1687. I have seen both at Ipswich Records Office. Their son John was born in 1649 and married Sarah (surname unknown); he may have been the innkeeper of the White Lion at Framlingham in 1712.

If you find out more about these ancestors I should be glad to hear from you.