Author Topic: Lees, John Albert born 1866 Ancrum  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Kingsleigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lees, John Albert born 1866 Ancrum
« on: Tuesday 01 April 08 06:11 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be a decendent of John Albert Lees of Ancrum, Roxburghshire?  He became a Presbyterian Minister and was in Stewarton, Ayrshire in 1901.  He married Liza Milne about 1895.  I think he died in St. Clement, Angus about 1935.
Thanks, Kingsleigh
Baker, Matthison / Matthieson, Lees, Cooper, King, Meachin/Mekin

Offline afras03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lees, John Albert born 1866 Ancrum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingsleigh

John Albert was my Great Grandfather! Have info on the Lees side going back to c1775.

I look forward to chatting!

Thanks

Alison

Offline Kingsleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 08 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison
Great to hear from you.  So, John Albert was your great grandfather, and he was a brother to my grandmother, Martha Elizabeth.  I would be so happy to receive information about John Albert.  I know he was the oldest child of John and Eliza Matilda, but other than that I have next to no information about him.  I do have a very old photograph that I would be happy to share.  I also have searched and found info on our line back to about 1774.  Are you decended from the John Lees who was born in Glasgow about 1897?  I look forward to hearing from you.  Just this for now, Kingsleigh

Offline afras03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 08 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingsleigh

John Albert was born on the 27th September 1866 in Ancrum, he married Elizabeth Milne on the 26th of June 1895 having 2 Children John (Who as you said) was my grandfather and Robert who died in the first world war. He was a minister in:- 1894 in Hood Memorial Church, Glasgow
                                                                   1897 in Stewarton Congregational Church, Hamilton
                                                                   1906 in St James Congregational Church, Hamilton
                                                                   1924 in Newport Congregational Church
Retired in 1935 and sadly died on the 27th of September 1935 following (i think) surgery for cancer of the pancreas.

I have photos and his obituary which i will send to you when my scanner is up and running!

I have traced the family back to George Lees and Jane Hope but have only found info on Jane who was a Gate Keeper/ pauper in the  1851 census.

Ive always meant to get the MI's for Ancrum but never got round to it, as since 2001 i have never found anyone looking for the Lees family until now!

Thanks Kingsleigh i hope this helps and i look forward to hearing from you.

Alison

Offline Kingsleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 May 08 04:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison
Thanks for your info.  I was surprised to see that you said Robert died in the 1st WW.  I think there is a death of a Robert Milne Lees 1901 (right after the census)on Scotlands People.  I just assumed that that was our Robert.  Could John and Liza have had a second son whom they named Robert?
Did you know that your g.grandfather had another sister, Elizabeth Ann (nicknamed Bessie)?  She married Peter Smith and they had a daughter whom they named Reena.
It is interesting to note that your g.g died the same day as his birth.  Also, my granny died Feb. 12, 1935, the same year.  I have an obit with a very brief mention of your gg on it.  She also passed away from cancer.  I would be very happy to receive photos and the obit from you, and will send you what I have.  George Lees baptized 14 Jul 1776 was son of John and I think Nelly.  I can't prove this yet but on the IGI it reports a John LEE marriage to Nelly Smith in Ancrum, 4th Jun 1769.  To exchange further photos could you contact me directly using my email address?  I hope it is understandable that I would prefer not to post personal item on rootschat.  I have quite a bit of info that I don't mind sharing.  I am curious about who your Grandfather John married and if you know of any connection to Bishopbriggs as I have an old photo who i don't know who the people are.  Thanks for yours.  Kingsleigh