Author Topic: More Sheehans in Dungarvan?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline bsheehan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
More Sheehans in Dungarvan?
« on: Tuesday 01 April 08 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I'm researching my grandfather, Nicholas Francis Sheehan, born September 9, 1882, in (we believe) Dungarvan.

He emigrated to the US in 1901, specifically to Mechanicville NY. A number of other Sheehans, including a sister named Maggie, and possibly, a brother named Michael went there around the same time. (There seem to have been Sheehans in the area from around the 1850's, mostly working on the newly built railroad that passed through there.)

There also seem to be a sizable number of Powers and Caseys from Stradbally who also emigrated there. My grandfather married Mary Casey, the daughter of Michael and Anastasia (Morrissey) Casey of Stradbally in Mechanicville in about 1903.

I'd be very interested in any suggestions for research, or any details anyone might have on the Caseys and Sheehans.

Thank you!

Brian Sheehan

Offline bsheehan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: More Sheehans in Dungarvan?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 08 11:57 BST (UK) »
I've found some additional information on my Nicholas Sheehan from Dungarvan, thanks to a local (Worcester Massachusetts) obituary for his brother Edward. (A brother I wasn't even aware of until my mother made an offhand remark about my father's "spinster cousins", but that's a whole other story!)

According to the obituary, Nicholas's parents were Patrick and Marguerite (Doody) Sheehan. There seem to have been a number of Patrick Sheehans in Dungarvan at the time (my grandfather was born in 1882, so I'm assuming his father Patrick would probably have been born sometime after 1840-50.). Any information or suggestions on the Sheehan's and Doodys would be appreciated!