Author Topic: James Kennedy, Hawick  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Hoppie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James Kennedy, Hawick
« on: Wednesday 02 April 08 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I am trying to find some basic information about my great grandfather from Hawick, date of birth 26.12.1881. I would like to know when his brother Aitcheson (or Aitchison) was born and when he (James) got married. Have tried ancestry but can't seem to find him or his family on the 1891 or 1901 Scotland census - he may have been serving abroad in South Africa at the time of the 1901 census. (His father was James A. Kennedy, Baillie of Hawick at some point).  Would also like to know when his four children were born but this may not be available by census records yet; they were probably all born post 1901.  He may even have got married post 1901.  He had three boys (third called John and a fourth child, Mary).  Where might I find all this?  Any help much appreciated.   
James Kennedy DSO, MC, DCM, Black Watch WW1, Welch Regiment WW1

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Kennedy, Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,
They are on Ancestry in 1891 living 4 Teviot Rd.
If you look for James, his birth year appears as 1883.

James A b.1846 Hawick. Butchers Clerk
Mary W. b.1856 Cavers
James. b.1883 Hawick
Janet D. b.1885 Hawick.
Aitchison. b. 1890 Hawick.

I cannot find them on 1901 though. I also looked for deaths of Aitchison on SP from 1891 to 1901, didnt find him. By the way i cant find them on the English 1901 either.

Regards
Anne.
Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again
There are three marriages for Aitchison Kennedy on SP. I dont have any credits left but worth checking out. I put in years from 1918 forward.
There is one marriage for Janet Kennedy in Hawick putting in dates 1901-1932
James there are four from 1914-1932 again Roxburgh.

Regards
Anne.
Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.

Offline iainkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 14:52 BST (UK) »
Aitchison was born 13 Jul 1889 5 Forrest Rd? Hawick

married Elizabeth Revel Amos 1 Aug 1913 Hawick.

The confirmation of his father's estate reads:

James Kennedy Clerk, 6 Sandbed, Hawick, died 18 Jun 1918 intestate. Confirmation granted at Jedburgh 18 Mar to James Kennedy, 7 Slitrig Crescent, Hawick, Lieut-Col, 13th Welsh Regiment, his son. Value of estate £50 1s.

which gives a little clue about James jnr.

I will be at New Register House on Friday so will let you know what else I can dig up. Not clear if I have any more on James yet unless he's duplicated in the database. You will surely find entries on him in the London Gazette (www.london-gazette.co.uk) for all his miliary promotions, along with hundreds of other James Kennedys!

Iain Kennedy
Project leader
Kennedy One-Name Study
http://www.kennedydna.com/kons.htm

Offline Hoppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
Anne and Iain,  thank you so much for these fantastic replies.  You really do put me to shame with my inability to dig this all up for myself.  I really appreciate all of your help.

Iain, mainly I am researching the military side of things but do need context to the 'family man' (though he spent precious little time with them by all accounts!) Whatever you manage to find on Friday would be enormously appreciated.

To let you have something back, for what it's worth, Aitchison, James' brother, got married August 1913 (thanks!), then arrived in France 26th August 1914 and was killed 16 September 1914.  22 days of fighting and then killed.  Horrid. James meanwhile, a regular soldier, was being shipped back from India to fight in France and arrived in October 1914.  Can't imagine what emotions they all went through.  Anyway it is all coming together with your help. Thanks again.

Best wishes

Hoppie 

Offline iainkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 08 19:12 BST (UK) »
Additional stuff on this line.

Janet Kennedy b 9 Oct 1884 to James Aitchison Kennedy and Mary Wemyss Beattie
James Kennedy [her brother] married Christina Elder 17 Jul 1908 Hawick. At this stage he was a sergeant 2nd [battn.?] Black Watch.

No obvious sign of children born to this couple in the area, based on a quick look.

Christina Elder was James' first cousin, b 7 Sep 1881 Wilton to James Elder and Mary Kennedy, who married 1 Jan 1872 Hawick. Mary was daughter of James Kennedy and Elizabeth Pattison and brother of James Aitchison Kennedy senior.

James Kennedy b 26 Dec 1881 died in Palestine 11 Apr 1946. His testament was confirmed the same year:

Confirmations and Inventories 1946
Capt. James Kennedy Black Watch Oakbank Lilliesleaf died on active service in Palestine testate. Confirmation Jedburgh 23 May to Christina Kennedy same address, executrix. Value of estate £1317 12s 6d.

Mary [Kennedy] Elder died in Hawick 26 Dec 1919 and is buried in Wilton cemetery along with her husband who died 29 Dec 1908. I have a photo of the gravestone if you want it.

That's all I have to add for now.

Iain
www.kennedydna.com/kons.htm

Offline Hoppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 April 08 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Iain; that's brill.

Hoppie

Offline hjane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 18:39 GMT (UK) »
My half sister is Ann Kennedy.  Her father was Walter Elder Kennedy and his father was James c1881 - m. Christina - children John Mary James and Walter.  If this is the same James as yours (he lived in Hawick - rode the bounds on his horse - was in the Black Watch and his father was a Baylee - maybe we are connected.  I would be interested.  Have loads of info about his war career.

Offline Hoppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 November 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
How exciting to hear from a family member and how shocking to have lost touch.  I would be really interested to hear all about what you have of his military career and particularly if you know what he won his MC and first DSO for.  I have also sent you a personal message and look forward to hearing from you.

Hoppie