Author Topic: Who do you Think You Are / FTM Software  (Read 922 times)

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Who do you Think You Are / FTM Software
« on: Wednesday 02 April 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hiya

I am worried - I need to buy new Family Tree Maker this year but I heard bad news about it from lots of people from last year.

But I search on PC World website and saw a new one out in February this year. Who do you think You are merged with Family tree Maker - has anyone buy it - is it any good?

I have been FTM for years since 1999 and bought again in 2004.

:-\ :-\ :-\
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you Think You Are / FTM Software
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 April 08 23:50 BST (UK) »
The most recent version of Family Tree Maker is FTM 2008. It hasn't has the best reviews and isn't as user friendly as earlier versions apparently. After seeing reports from folks who bought it i decided to stick with my 2005 version.

The more recent "earlier" versions listed from newest to oldest are

FTM v16
FTM 2006
FTM 2005

The 2005 and 2006 versions can be bought as deluxe "WDYTYA" versions or standard (ie non WDYTYA) versions.

The main difference is that the deluxe editions include some additional discs with some parish records on them, quite frankly these have pretty poor coverage and are not worth the extra money.

Some packages also include an Ancestry subscription for anything from 14 to 90 days, prices vary depending on the offer.

Recently you could buy the non wdytya 2006 version online from  around £6 inc p&p from online retailers