Author Topic: LINTON family in Newtown Limavady, early 1800s  (Read 15918 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
LINTON family in Newtown Limavady, early 1800s
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I hope you can help me get a little further back with my LINTON line.

A little bit of background:  My 4xg-grandmother was Anne LINTON.  She married Richard BALFOUR, who was from Newtown Limavady, sometime around 1825.  They had at least three children in Ireland before emigrating to Australia in 1832.  Richard Balfour was a Roman Catholic, and Anne Linton was Church of Scotland, according to the Bounty Certificates for their immigration into Sydney.   I know there are alot of Lintons in Scotland, and probably Anne's family came from there originally as part of a settlement/plantation scheme.

I have just checked the Tithe Applotments Books that are now available on Ancestry, and found a couple of Lintons in Newtown Limavady. 

My question is:  is there any way of finding out more about these people and their families, and maybe finding my elusive Anne?

1826 Newtownlimavady, Drumachose, Derry
Samuel LINTON
John LINTON

Any advice very much appreciated!

Thank you
Prue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LINTON family in Newtown Limavady, early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 08 00:20 BST (UK) »
Any chance that Anne's death certificate lists parents? or at least father?
Drumachose Parish Church (Church of Ireland), Limavady: baptisms 1729-72, 1804-32, 1837-; marriages 1728-53, 1814-35, 1838-; burials 1729-36, 1823-32, 1837- . LDS have microfilm of transcript of records in their catalogue (do place search: 'Drumachose' and then click church records).
Roman Catholic records and most other local records start after the family left Ireland.   
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 08 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey  :)
Thanks for your prompt reply!

No, Anne's death cert doesn't list parents - just that her father's name was "Linton" :-\  Her son, who was informant, must not have known their details.

I'll try to get to the LDS to have a look at those films, thank you very much for looking those up for me.  Would it have been likely that a birth or marriage would have been recorded in the Church of Ireland, with one partner CofScotland and the other RC?

Thanks again

Prue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 08 14:52 BST (UK) »
You will most likely have to order LDS film as it's doubtful it would be in stock at your local library.
With mixed marriages it's hard to tell where children might be baptised- sometimes one church, sometimes the other or even boys in one church and girls in other. Unfortunately the local R.c. church doesn't have records going back far enough.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline samlinton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 May 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
i too am researching the lintons from limavady so far im back to my great grandparents about 1860  they were living in methodist lane in mid 1800si have some certificates from church of ireland when i was in limavady it was a small vilage back then so by law of avereges the lintons must all be relatedin some form or another i will get together what ive got and if you think there is a connection will e mail to you bearing in mind i live in london

Offline samlinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 May 10 09:24 BST (UK) »
also i got my cetificates from church of ireland drumachoseand saw gravestone of a linton family member

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
If nothing else turns up it might also be worth looking at the records for Magilligan Pres Church, Tamlahtarde Parish, which is fairly close to Limavady. I was looking at these records recently and Lintons seem to have had associations with this church from 1814 through to the 1900s.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 May 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
Flax Growers database  1796 shows the following

Frederick Lynton Tamlaghtfinlagan Parish, Co Londonderry 1 wheel
James Lynton Drumachose Parish, Co Londonderry 2 wheels
John Lynton Tamlaghtarde Parish, Co Londonderry 1 wheel

Hope this is of help.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 May 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
Richard Balfour was residing in Ballyclose Street, Newtown Limavady in the 1831 census.

1831 - Samuel & John Linton resided at Main Street - Jacob and William Linton were listed also - Lanes & Yards, Limavady.