Author Topic: The Bull - Great George Street, Bristol  (Read 1402 times)

Offline cb1964

• RootsChat Member
  • My GGGGG GF would have been a City fan....probably
    • View Profile
The Bull - Great George Street, Bristol
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 14:37 BST (UK) »
2 interlinked questions, if I may?  ;D

I believe an ancestor of mine may have run The Bull on Great George Street, a pub which no longer exists. According to www.bristolslostpubs.com, Thomas Burfoot was the landlord in 1828.

1st question: Does anyone have any information or photo's of the pub?

2nd question: In my family tree I have 2 Thomas Burfoot's, father & son. The father was born in Randwick in 1777. He moved to Bristol around 1790-1800. His third marriage entry in the Bristol Mercury in 1841 states he was a Hatter and had been employed by J Dando & Co for 50 years. The son was born about 1811/12 and on the 1841 census is recorded as a Plane Maker. By 1861 he was a Furniture Broker and remained so until he died. The question is which Thomas, if either, ran the pub? Thomas (snr) was employed by the same company for 50 years and Thomas (jnr) surely would have been to young.

The only other piece of information I have is from the Gloucestershire Quarter Sessions "29 March 1827. Offender: Thomas Burfoot of St. Philip & Jacob, Bristol. Crime: failing to observe a condition of the recognizance entered into on obtaining a licence to sell ale, etc....... First offence. Fined £5 and 6/6 costs." Both Thomas's lived in the St Philip & Jacob parish.

Apologies for going on but I am intrigued by this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

CB1964
<b>Burfoot</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol & Randwick)
<b>Selwood</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol)
<b>Sharpe</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol); Cambridgeshire (Ely); Suffolk (Wickhambrook)

Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
Re: The Bull - Great George Street, Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 08 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Did you notice that that site also gives another Thomas Burfoot 1889 at the North View Inn, Fox St in the EASTON, BAPTIST MILLS & EASTVILLE area?
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline cb1964

• RootsChat Member
  • My GGGGG GF would have been a City fan....probably
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 08 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Stinton

Yes thanks, I was aware of that. The 2 Thomas's I am interested about in the St Philip & Jacob area, the father and son died in 1859 & 1869 respectively.

Thanks for responding.

Regards

CB1964
<b>Burfoot</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol & Randwick)
<b>Selwood</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol)
<b>Sharpe</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol); Cambridgeshire (Ely); Suffolk (Wickhambrook)

Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annieb22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi cb1964. Did you ever discover more about your Thomas Burfoot running the Bull? I may be able to shed a little more light on things. Please feel free to contact me through my website at www.hibbitt.org.uk

Annie
Hibbitt, Hibbit, Newbold, Newbould - Exton, Rutland
Hibbitt - Birmingham
Ridley, Cotterill - Birmingham
Fryer, Pitcher, Rice, Taysum, Taysom, King, Longney, Worgan - Gloucestershire
Dando - Dursley & Rodborough, Glos, Bristol, London, USA
Weaver - Curry Rivel, Somerset
Arnold - Nuneaton, Warickshire
Geake, Hellyer, Hellier, Smale, Horn, Martin, Longman, Dearing, Ball - Devon
Free, Ashby, Fincham, Adams, Richardson - Hadstock & Saffron Walden, Essex
Oliver - Doncaster, Yorkshire