Author Topic: Emma Painter of Wareham/Poole  (Read 1323 times)

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emma Painter of Wareham/Poole
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have tried to find Emma for years with no success whatsoever, but now I believe I have her at last.  The point is, the lesson I have learned is 'consider everything'.

In the Census records she mostly claimed to have been born in Poole but once only, she said Wareham.  To her family she claimed to be Irish, sometimes from Dublin, but mostly from Cork.  The only fact that she stuck to was 1838, the year of her birth.

Finally, I discovered a previously overlooked entry in the Wareham, St Mary Parish records, all became clear.  31 Mar 1838 Emma (blank).  No Mothers name and no Fathers - it was quite sad.  No trace of her in the 1841 Census, but I found a Caroline Painter, in the Workhouse aged 20.  Two Painter/Payntor families were in Wareham at that time, but no Emma with them.  No Emma in Poole Census.

Was she a foundling ? or just a workhouse infant who needed to be baptised.  Where did these babies go, was there a home nearby or in Poole, or was she taken in by another Painter family in the district.

She completely reinvented herself when she came to Poole, rather than admit she was base born.  She was quite a town character, could not read or write but set up with her sweet shop in Lagland Street.  She was known as 'the Irish Granny' total fantasy.  When she married Peter J Way At St James, Poole. Sep 1857, she would have had to produce a birth cert and on the records she claimed her Father was a Farmer Joseph Painter of Shapwick.  I did find an Emma in Shapwick, born 1838, but she died when she was 10 yrs old.  Endless searches for a Joseph brought nothing.  I have not been able to find an official record of her birth and this did not become compulsory until 1900 ?.

Can anyone help find Emma in 1841 or subsequent Census records.  Is there a likely Home she may have been taken to or the Workhouse ?  Any help or pointers in the right direction, would be really appreciated.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Painter of Wareham/Poole
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 08 18:55 BST (UK) »
Census 1841: Shapwick, Badbury, Wimborne,

Edward Painter, head, 85
Martha, 70
Mary, 25
Emma 2,

All born in Dorset. Sorry the image is really bad so I have just taken what has been transcribed on this one.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Painter of Wareham/Poole
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 08 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for having a look.  This is the Emma who died at the age of 10 years.

Oddly, I cannot find my Emma in any 1851 Census, in Shapwick, Wareham or Poole or anywhere else.  Also Caroline can't be found either.  I am now thinking Emma and whoever had care of her, may have gone to Ireland and returned to Poole later.  If that is the case, it will be hopeless to try and find her in Ireland.

I guess it is one of those conundrums that refuse to be resolved.

Thanks again, it is really appreciated.