Author Topic: Malchers to Quebec - request help please  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Malchers to Quebec - request help please
« on: Sunday 06 April 08 16:23 BST (UK) »
I'm thoroughly confused, so confused in fact, that I'm not sure whether this is a look-up request or not, so please bear with me.

I'm looking for a Malcher who, with his wife, emigrated from England to Canada.   

A couple of years ago, I searched and found a Herbert F. Malcher and his wife Louisa, who arrived in Quebec on 28.10.1928 aboard the White Star ship Albertic.  He was aged 30, his wife was 29.

This information came from ArchiviaNet and gives the following information:
Ref:  RG76-IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a
Volume:  1928 volume 29
Page: 147
Microfilm reel: T-14750

The Malcher I'm searching for went to Canada to work for the Canadian Pacific Railway.    All I really know is that, at the outbreak of WWII my Malchers wrote to (Plant) relatives in England offering a 'place of safety' to the 2 Plant daughters.   The offer was not taken up.

I've tried finding a Herbert Malcher in my family but so far, without success.  Looking back at the Archivia site today I notice it says that ' .. due to the poor legibility of the original indexes, some of the information may be incorrect or incomplete.

So now I'm wondering whether 'Herbert' might be a 'mis-transcription', and I think I'm asking therefore if its possible to somehow check the original?

Any 'pointers' on checking the records (or ways of finding their subsequent whereabouts) wouldn't half be appreciated - before I go completely stir crazy!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Malchers to Quebec - request help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 08 16:33 BST (UK) »
You can order a copy of the original from the Canadian archives, which would tell you where he was heading and occupation.

Or look at the lists of those leaving the UK here:
http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

There is an entry in 1928 for Herbert and Louisa, but also there are some other Malchers going to Canada who you might recognise? (Or might the connection be through Louisa's side of the family?)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 April 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
Jorose, you are an absolute star.   

Having looked at the transcript 'Herbert' is clear as day so it wasn't him, but ... but ... a few clicks later and - oh! I could  :-* you - there he was, Eli Malcher, the brother of Kate (later Plant) who offered that 'place of safety' to his two nieces.

You have absolutely no idea how grateful I am, two years of brickwall knocked down in as many hours - were it not so cold, I'd go out and throw a few snowballs!

Thank you so very much.
Mogsmum 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 April 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
If you have the full info from findmypast on which ship Eli took (did he go twice? It looks like it), then you  should be able to also find his family on the passenger list images here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/passenger/001045-100.01-e.php
 - the first voyage is on the City of Vienna arrives into Halifax 1906-05-28, they're heading for Toronto, and Eli is listed at that stage as a gardner.

http://pagesofthepast.ca/ - Toronto Pages of the Past - there's a couple of entries in 1945 which mention an Eli Malcher - involved in cricket, in case this rings any bells(1945 is the free year).

Somebody will hopefully be able to fetch you the info from his daughter's marriage which appears to be on Ancestry - Dorothy Beatrice Malcher to Walter Henry Keen.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 April 08 05:40 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find anything for Herbert and Louisa, but just in case this one's yours, I put these here.

Charles Malcher

The Ponoka book
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=3601204

Gleanings after pioneers and progress
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=3999278

Wagon Trails to Hard Top : history of Lacombe and area
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=905951

There seems to be Malchers in both Alberta and Ontario. (only 10 across Canada)
http://www.canada411.ca/

Janice

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 April 08 17:12 BST (UK) »
Again - thank you both.   

Replying - in order.  It is the same Eli who went twice.   My first thought was that he/they came 'home' for a visit/holiday, but further research will prove or disprove this theory (idle thoughts - e.g. if it was a visit would they have been classed as immigrants again when they went back?   Possibly if they hadn't become naturalised citizens?)  I do have a tiny concern about his occupation - but it's definitely the right person so the 'went to work for Canadian Pacific' could be the fly in the woodpile! 

The lists have further revealed that yet another brother - Frederick Malcher - also went to Quebec with his wife in 1936, so I'm off to find out a bit more about Frederick.   His occupation 'caretaker' doesn't fit the 'Canadian Pacific' theory either, but his address in the UK met with a 'Yes, that's him' from his one surviving grand-niece (lost a generation on my last post!).

Thank you for the link to the 'cricket' - I can't quite make a connection, (Eli would have been 77 by then) but I've saved it ... in case!

To Janice, I say thank you for the links, all of which look really interesting.   Am now wrestling with conscience on morality/advisability of emailing the 10 and just asking 'whether'.   I want to, I really, really want to, but apart from anything else, how do I know they didn't go to Canada to put as much distance between themselves and the rest of the family as possible!     

I'll think about it awhile and follow the other links you've both kindly given.

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 April 08 18:36 BST (UK) »
You needn't worry about a drastic change in occupation.... The rails needed workers, so anyone who needed a job could have been hired on...both had rigorous jobs where they worked hard...
(Now I have an ancestor who went from hotelier to farmer...so I'm having a bit of a problem with that....)

Here is an Eli in the Toronto city directory for 1921 as a painter ( h 413 Durie Ave)...(slow to load so don't even bother as that's all it says...)
http://www.archive.org/stream/torontodirec192100midiuoft/torontodirec192100midiuoft_djvu.txt
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 April 08 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks JJ - don't you just hate it when something takes ages to load, building up the anticipation for the big ... reveal? ..   finale? .. no - let down.

I may have found summat though - trawling through what I have on Eli's father (Henry) I see he was a railway plate-layer between 1881 and 1901 and Eli, himself was a Railway Labourer in 1891 although by 1901 he was a Waterside Warehouseman.   

Having looked at the passenger list transcripts (and compared them with images of the originals) there are a number anomalies - not least of which I swear the 1911 original has Eli down as a 'housewife'!

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 April 08 21:20 BST (UK) »
No perhaps you were looking at a different Eli, as he is here as a painter, with
wife Beatrice & daughter (enumerated as) Dorethy ( 1906 immigration)
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=78790

Looks to be working for "KNOLLS?" or "Knotts" perhaps someone can tell you what kind of painter he was by finding the place of business...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
oh, wait, I see you mean a manifest image for 1911....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com