Author Topic: Died at Sea - Scotland?  (Read 987 times)

Offline ron81

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Died at Sea - Scotland?
« on: Sunday 06 April 08 17:26 BST (UK) »

Hi all
I am totally gob smacked, speechless  :o

I cannot thank you all enough , what a wonderful site , you have my eternal gratitude for finding David & the details regarding his death

You have given me so much to go on, i did know about  my Gt Grandfather & grandmother

Yes he was known by his middle name, Edmond, not David, Edmond is another family name

Our family, from the Borders  origianally, flitted back & forth as was common then, & a few made it to Fife, i actually stay in Banffshire, 50 miles North of Aberdeen

We were a sea faring family in some parts, farmers in others, my son was fishing up to 3 years ago

I have had a wonderful 6 months tracing relations here & there, but was totally at a loss re Edmond, IE David

One again my thanks to all who helped

If i can impose on you again to solve another sea mystery in our family, if you have the time

Again Crail Fife

Mt Gr Gr Grand Father was lost at sea, he was sometime a fisherman , sometime a sailor

Alexander McDonald, also from Crail, his date of death is 10/1/1845, he is buried in Caril

He was born in Opinan,Gairloch to unwed parents, oppps!! Donald McDonald & Elisabeth Brown

But i am at a loss regarding his death, the story goes he was brought home to Crail with another 4 bodies

Can anyone help with any names of boats that went down at that time, i would think the boat would need to be from that area to bring bodies home?
as they would decompose quickly

Unsure if a fishing boat, but the Seamans mission & Museum in Anstruther have no info on him at all ,according to the family

It appears it could well of been an ordinary merchant ship,or fishing boat, if you can help with this , it will be drinks all round  :)

Wendi thanks for the photo, it will be treasured

Once again thanks to Wendi, mmm45 & eve
Regards
Ron

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Died at Sea - Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron

Mt Gr Gr Grand Father was lost at sea, he was sometime a fisherman , sometime a sailor

Alexander McDonald, also from Crail, his date of death is 10/1/1845, he is buried in Caril

I have hardly any knowledge of Scottish records - would they have burial registers that would list all those buried at the time and, possibly, even where they died?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk