Author Topic: Job Curtis  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: Job Curtis
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:17 BST (UK) »
Well done Galum..great find..

Jane
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joyce baber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hello  Everyone Thank you for all your replies  I am really surprised about Jobs's birth it gets strange as it goes along  so I will take it that James Gough is really Jobs son and his mother is Sarah.   Job is the one who married Caroline king   Thank you I really apprecitated  all the messages I am pleased I came to this Roots Chat to find out Jobs family. Joyce     

Offline patently

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 September 09 18:44 BST (UK) »
I have come into this link late but I have some extra information of which you may or may not be aware.  I have the 2 March 1840 marriage certificate of James Gough and Sarah Curtis who were resident at Seagry, Chippenham district.  James' father is recorded as Charles Gough and Sarah's father  (who is listed as a widow) is Benjamin Stockholm.  I believe the latter is an unusual surname.

I also have Job Curtis' birth certificate showing birth on 12 October 1839 to Sarah Curtis in Sutton Benger.  Again Sarah lists her maiden name as Stockholm.  The copying is poor but it looks like the person who registers the birth is Joanna Gough.

It would be interesting to find the death certificate of Sarah's first husband to see if there is the possibility that he could have been the father of Job.  He could well be the father of Fredrick, listed as son of Sarah & James, along with Job, in the 1841 census. 

By the way, my interest is in the Curtis line which goes through Job Curtis' son Henry Curtis and then onto his son Arthur Curtis in Bristol.

Offline joyce baber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 September 09 05:49 BST (UK) »
I would br interested to hear from  you. Could you be able to send me your email address please  Joyce   

Offline patently

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 September 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Slightly nervous of giving out my email address but happy to share information for time being.  I got something wrong in my last posting.  Sarah Curtis' maiden name was not Stockholm but rather Stockham.  I found this out on Sarah's marriage certificate to James Gough.  Stockham looks to be the correct name.  On the marriage certificate (which took place on 2 March 1840 in Seagry), Sarah's father is Benjamin Stockham.  On the North Wiltshire 1841 census listings, there is a 75 year old Benjamin Stockham resident in Seagry.  James' father is Charles Gough.  On the same 1841 listings there is a Charles Gough (Aged 50) living in Sutton (place of Job's birth) who is married to Johanna Gough (Aged 55).  As I said earlier, the name Joanna Gough is down as the informant on Job's birth certificate.  So looks like our "Curtis" line is  embedded in Wiltshire and is not actually linked by blood to the surname "Curtis".  Currently I am awaiting the death certificate of Sarah Gough who died in 1843 to check if this is our Sarah.  Will get back to you on this.

I would be interested if you have any photos of the Curtis clan as the family don't have much.  My father was born late in his mother's life and didn't have any family relationships with the Curtis' extended family.  It would be great to hear more about them as people.  We are all short and slim which in part comes from my Dad's side of the family.

Offline joyce baber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 September 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying I know what you mean about giving out your  email we well connect this way instead . Now I am interested to know how many James Goughs are there in the family  there is James and Ann  Gough and James and Sarah . I did have al look  in the 1851 census for Wiltshire and I found a Charles and Juana  Gough is that the same family you found in the 1841 census  as there is a brother in law with them a George Barrington.  So Benjamin Stockham is Sarah's father so have you any information when she married James Curtis at all please Thank  yoy Joyce

Offline patently

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 September 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
No I don't yet have any info on Sarah's first marriage - only the second marriage to James Gough.  The first marriage to Mr Curtis appears to have been before 1837 so the records are not online and will need to be hunted down in person.

I guess the family that you found in 1851 Charles and Joanna Gough are the same as the Charles and Joanna Gough that I found from the 1841 census and whom I am guessing are James Gough's parents.

Offline joyce baber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again   I have just been looking on the British Vital Records Index as I have them at home and I found a Charles Gough christened in Tockenham  5 /4/1789 and his parents were Charles Gough and Mary and I think I found their marriage  21 Nov 1782  Tockerham . I also found some children of Charles and Mary  there were Sarah and a John . I could  not find Charles and Joanna  marriage or any of their children.  . Actually the Curtis name is linked with my late husbands family the Babers  and that is why I am interested in the James Curis   and Job I have no other information of them  Have you any idea who James and Ann  are if they are Jobs grandpaernets  where do   they fit in if James who amrried Sarah is the son of Charles So I am still puzzlaes about them. Are you on  GenesReunited at all as I am   Joyce

Offline patently

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 12:32 BST (UK) »
I think that the mystery is all about births outside of marriage and Job's choice of keeping his Mother's surname despite her marrying James Gough.  I believe that the James Gough living with Sarah in the 1841 census is the same James Gough living with Ann in 1851.  At the moment it is not clear what happened to Sarah Stockham/Curtis/Gough.  Did she die young or simply leave James?  I will keep you posted on the outstanding Sarah Gough death certificate.

Not sure why James and Ann Gough are listed as grandparents in the 1851 census.  Perhaps it is simply a recording error or alternatively a handy answer to explain why they have a juvenile living with them with a different surname. We do know that James cannot be Job's grandparent because of James' age and Job's age.

Interested to know which of Job's children links to your husband's family line.  I am not on GenesReunited.  Are there anymore of us searching Job Curtis?  By the way what are the "British Vital Records Index".  Never heard of them.  Do they list Fred(e)rick's birth - Job's older brother and who is listed in the 1841 census living with James and Sarah?  He is down as 4 years old in 1841 so birth would have been 1836/7 possibly as Fred(e)rick Curtis.

Best wishes