Author Topic: Free Middlesex Historical Books - Pdf's  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Free Middlesex Historical Books - Pdf's
« on: Tuesday 08 April 08 02:57 BST (UK) »
Here's a site which has a wealth of out of copyright pdf books to view and download for free. link (archive.org)

An example of what can be found at the site:

"Middlesex County records";
"v.1. Indictments, coroners' inquests--post-mortem and recognizances from 3 Edward VI. to the end of the reign of Queen Elizabeth.--v.2. Indictments, recognizances, coroners' inquisitions--post-mortem, orders and memoranda, temp. James I.--v.3. Indictments, recognizances, coroners' inquisitions--post-mortem, orders, memoranda, and certificates of convictions of conventiclers, temp. 1 Charles I. to 18 Charles II.--v.4..".

"Transactions of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society - London and Middlesex Archaeological"

"The visitation of Middlesex, began in the year 1663 - Ryley, William, d. 1667"

"The Victoria history of the county of Middlesex - University of London. Institute of Historical Research"

"Memorials of old Middlesex - Perry, John Tavenor, 1842-1915"

Rewcastle.

Offline redgum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sweet William
    • View Profile
Re: Free Middlesex Historical Books - Pdf's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 04:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rewcastle it is a fantastic site. I have found some useful books on Devon. :) :) :)
SCOTLAND
Macdonald, Buchan, Stuart, McCook -Angus/ Aberdeenshire
McLeod, McKenzie- Sutherland

IRELAND
McIlhagga, Craig - Antrim

ENGLAND
Stone, Murch, Ireland, Austin, Perryman - Devon
Holder, Robinson -Warwickshire/Staffordshire

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 05:23 BST (UK) »
Excellent site, thanks for sharing it. :)
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 09:35 BST (UK) »
I've used this site in the past to download Sussex records but forgot to look a bit further afield and see whether other useful counties were on it. :-\

Thank you for the link and I must investigate some more.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 11:49 BST (UK) »
If you think of any 'reference only' books at the library and do a search you should find some of them.

I've found it can be a bit specific for keywords. i.e. if you search for 'wills', you will find wills (mainly from the 1300's -1600's), if you search for rolls you will find court rolls from the medieval times. You sometimes have to be spcific for the title of the book or the authur.

I've also came across some books of marriages. Searching by County works, but don't forget the County may have a double in the USA, Canada, or Australia.

Quite a few of the Canadian and US libraries have signed up and are scanning the old books, so there are 'new' old books been added all the time.

Another good one to search for is the 'Harleian Society'

If you have any old books (out of Copyright) and have a decent scanner, you can scan them, save them as a pdf and upload them to the site. (you've got to create an account).

It's the same as Rod Neep did, only he had a really good scanner and saved them to a cd, then sold them to the public.

Regards.
 Rewcastle.

Offline Tiddles

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 14:38 BST (UK) »

Thanks for sharing it. :) :)

Excellent site.

I must investigate some more.

Thanks.
Tiddles.
Harrison - Terrington St Clements, Norfolk England.
Harrison - Swansea Wales.
Harrison - Manchester, Disley.
Hansel Kirby. Stockton-on-Tees. Islington, London.
Ridgwell - London
Olaf Jones - Kent. and London.