Author Topic: Brighton Industrial School  (Read 9292 times)

Offline lisey97

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brighton Industrial School
« on: Tuesday 15 April 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
Looking for "Inmate" records for this 'school'.  Does anyone know where they might be held?  I have three people on the 1871 census listed as inmates (Heny Eggleton, Sidney Eggleton, and Eliza Eggleton) and need more info as to their parentage and admittance to school.  I know Sidney was one of the Home Children sent to Canada and have more data on this side but I need the records from the school, and associated hospital, to find their parents etc.  Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brighton Industrial School
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisey,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

there is a site here: http://www.missing-ancestors.com/
with details of Industrial Schools.

Click on the list of schools (SCHOOLS) and then search for Brighton.

they mention
    *  BRIGHTON TOWN AND LONDON COUNTY COUNCIL INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR BOYS, PORTSLADE BY SEA, NR BRIGHTON, SUSSEX.

LATER RENAMED

* Portslade Industrial School, Portslade, Hove, Sussex

If that's the one you are looking for, then it also tells you were the records are.

Good luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Presumably you know their ages from the 1871 census so you should be able to find the birth registrations on the GRO index.    They all say born Brighton so with luck the birth was registered somewhere in Sussex.  You can search it online at various paying sites or ask for a look up.  They do not seem to appear on FreeBMD.
Andrea

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 21:31 BST (UK) »
I had a look for the birth records and they don't seem to be listed, or if they I couldn't see them under the name Eggleton.

It possible that the Brighton Industrial School may have been located in what is now Woodingdean, a 'suburb' of Brighton a few miles out of town. It was demolished in the 80s or 90s to make way for a Nuffield hospital. At one stage it was known as the Warren Farm school. If you look at this site (http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Brighton/Brighton.shtml) it has a map listing it as Warren Farm Schools (Industrial)

Unfortunately it looks like the records for the school are more recent than you require, with 1877 being the earliest listed date held at East Sussex Record Office. They may still be worth a try though.

Glen

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 17:12 BST (UK) »
I agree with Woodingdean, I believe they had farms and workshops as well as the well to dig. Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline lisey97

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of the replies and interest.  This search certainly has always been a difficult one. As far as the Brighton Industrial School goes I do believe that this changed to Warrens Farm but in 1871 is was still listed as Brighton Industrial School and the district was Rottingdean.  Adding to the confusion is the fact that, as of yet, I can find no birth records for these three Eggletons at all.  I have even been searching in Surrey and Berkshire as I have reason to believe that there may be a connection to these other counties. I know that "Sidney" is actually Charles Sidney Eggleton who was sent to Canada in 1871 as one the "Home Children" and I am trying to gather more info from this connection hoping it will give me more searchable info.  I can speculate on quite a bit (including parentage) but really need a bit more proof. Any ideas as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 22:10 BST (UK) »
It is worth a search of the 1861 census as they should be there.    Bit late now but I will look tomorrow if nobody finds them overnight!  I was quite surrised how old they were - I had thought they would be younger.
Andrea

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 April 08 05:01 BST (UK) »
Can you give us the children's ages in 1871, it would certainly help, especially if they appear under a variation of the family name (like Iggelton)

By the way, the Industrial school was only a few years old in 1871, so if the children had been supported by the parish a few years earlier than that, their records could have been amongst the long lost ones of the old Dyke Road Workhouse.

Roy G

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 April 08 09:32 BST (UK) »
Sidney is 14, Henry 12 and Eliza 10.  All born Brighton.  I can't find them elsewhere at the moment.
Andrea