Author Topic: Canwick Road Cemetery - Lincoln  (Read 46744 times)

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
Re: Canwick Cemetery - Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 April 08 08:46 BST (UK) »

Sally, 

I will see what I can find  ;)

Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 April 08 14:14 BST (UK) »

Sally,

I only spent about 45 mins there today,

The wind is bitter  ;D

will be going back shortly,  when it warm's up a bit  :)

will keep your list of name's with me .

Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline boosh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 April 08 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally

Lincolnshire Family History Society sell the microfiche for Canwick Road cemetery, up to 1985.  You can buy the fiche via Genfair.  Name and date etc are there, plus the plot reference numbers.  They retail on average for about £3.00.  I know microfiche isn't convenient, but it may be a more practical and cost effective option for you.    I have ordered a good number of fiche from the LFHS via Genfair and they have arrived in a short space of time. 

Food for thought anyway!

Cheers

Boosh
Whiteman (Salop or links from other counties)
Sergeant (Yorks/Lincs)
Suttill (Yorks)
Davies (Herefordshire)
Cotton (Herefordshire)
Germaney (Lincs/Norfolk)
Andersson (Sweden/Lincs)

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 April 08 23:17 BST (UK) »
Eilleen

Thanks very much for helping me look for the gravestones and very sorry you got cold today in the wind! 

I will have a trip there when I can spare a couple of hours but in the meantime I have done as Boosh suggested (Thanks Boosh  ;) ) and placed an order for the Monumental Inscriptions for Canwick  - I will let you know if they prove useful when I receive them. 

Regards
Sally

COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 April 08 07:54 BST (UK) »
and placed an order for the Monumental Inscriptions for Canwick  - I will let you know if they prove useful when I receive them.

I hope you're not disappointed ...  Canwick and Canwick Rd Cemetery are different places.

The cemeteries are on the north side of the B1190, stretching from the B1188 to the Crematorium.  Canwick is a village a short distance to the south.

Map http://tinyurl.com/5z3m5b
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 April 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Thanks for pointing out my mistake - I did mean the Canwick Rd Cemetery and I have ordered the right fiche  ;)

Sally

COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 April 08 11:10 BST (UK) »
One thing to note is that the LFHS have listed Monumental Inscriptions for Canwick Road, BUT the references found on those are not the same as the plot numbers in the cemetery register.

I have somewhere around 100 burials to locate based on NBI, Familyhistoryonline.net and the LFHS Monumental Inscriptions. These cover ten or so surnames, if you ever chance upon someone in there shouting for George then it will probably be me!!

Not all the stones survive and with something close to 18,000 burials it is a big place and spread over two sites.

I did enquire about a plan from the council but despite several requests never had a reply.

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
Re: Canwick Road Cemetery - Lincoln
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 April 08 16:18 BST (UK) »
My wife and I spent a frustrating but enjoyable hot summers afternoon last year searching for lost ancestors in Canwick Road Cemetery.

I too had a list of burials taken from the NBI and thought it would be a simple matter to trace the exact plots, oh dear no!

Firstly the cemetery/cemeteries are spread over about 55 acres and what appear to be 3 separate areas. The first of these is the old cemetery at the corner of Canwick and Washingborough Road; this seems to contain the vast majority of Victorian and early Edwardian graves and is laid out in alphabetical sections A to F if I remember correctly, there is a map at each entrance. The other 2 areas further along Washingborough Road are the new cemeteries and the Crematorium.

Now the first problem we encountered is that the rows of graves are set in what seem to be an arc shape not a straight line as in modern cemeteries therefore its not easy to follow how the rows run.

Secondly many of our ancestors could not afford head stones therefore large gaps appear between burials and whilst there may be a small marker stone laid in the ground with the plot number on, they tend to be hidden by the grass.

We did however find a couple of helpful cemetery employees who kindly fetched an old Victorian map and after about ½ hour of hunting around we found three of the plots we were looking for but even those guys had a job finding their bearings.

I wish anyone wanting to find plots at Canwick the best of luck, it can be fun but be prepared for a long search. If it’s a hot day take plenty of liquid refreshment with you it’s a long way from the shops. Other than that it’s a well-kept cemetery and the staff do a grand job of keeping it neat and tidy.

Alan
Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canwick Road Cemetery - Lincoln
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 April 08 16:31 BST (UK) »
I don't know if any software has to be installed to see this - an aerial photo of the cemetery area-

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.219482&lon=-0.525818&z=17.4&r=0&src=msa

As Alan says, 3 cemeteries - St Swithins, Canwick Road (Old and New) I think - with the Crem just to the east.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.